Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Monday, April 04, 2005

Links! I want links damnit!

I've been browsing skins -- I like this one, really I just want links. I'll figure it out, just a newbie trying to dredge up the scattered HTML knowledge I have floating around in my brain. Didn't feel well last night, woke up with a sore throat. Glad I called out of work. It's very slow there anyway so I don't feel too bad about it. If it were busy I would have drug myself in rather than load up my co-workers any further. I actually like them and stuff.

I am such a dork. I spent almost all of yesterday organizing my writing and old journal entries from Moontown. However, it is done. Now if only I could give that kind of attention to detail to the task of cleaning the apartment. I'm determined to do the Spring Cleaning before Doug gets back from West Virginia *insert Dueling Banjos here* but I just can't get motivated. I never realized how quickly I can lapse back into my old crap of staring at a computer screen all day and eating Ramen noodles. I wonder if it's just my way of escaping? No doubt. Doug is going to be gone for a week and a half straight -- that's a long time. I couldn't even fall asleep last night, even though it was really late when I tried AND I was tired. So I've not really come to terms with the whole 'it's just me and the cat's' thing yet. By the time I'm used to it, he'll be back.

Speaking of cats I have to remember to tell him that Colette was mourning him last night. She walked from room to room before bedtime looking for him and meowing before she came to bed. I thought that was just incredibly sweet. (and no, it was not because I forgot to feed her, I DID feed her right before bed)

Some days just look so shiny and pretty from out the window but are virtually unattainable. It rained and rained all weekend. Everything is so much greener -- many of the trees are still stark, brown and scratchy but if you look closely, you can see the buds one the end of the branches forming. One more good rain and warm day will take care of that. With spring, my poetic inclinations bubble to the surface again. I'm working on another poem. It's not what I want yet, but I've been writing more, which is good in and of itself.

I read some of my stuff out loud for the first time on Friday. It was scary. My legs were shaking the whole time and I'm sure my voice was quavering. Doug and Erica told me it was not, and that my inflection and everything came through. I've just never read my work out loud in front of people I don't know before. Posting on a poetry board is one thing-- this was a completely new, and suprisingly gratifying experience. Enough to make me want to do it again....maybe.

Time to go tackle some housework. All the windows are open, I'd hate to miss this opportunity.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

was it terrifying? I am SUCH a chicken about going to poetry readings - because I would want to read, and would stumble over my words, slobber and maybe piss myself...

12:36 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

it was absolutely terrifying -- however that whole "pretend the audience is nekkid" thing is b.s. when your fiance's in the audience. :D

1:29 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

lmao

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home