Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

New Hat

I'm perhaps one of the laziest people I know sometimes. Still haven't done all of the spring cleaning, fully intend to do it before Doug comes home from WV however what that means most likely is that I'll be very busy tomorrow night cleaning so it will be nice when he comes home Friday. How sad is that? I dunno if it's laziness or more that I function much better when he is home... that and I sleep better too. Permantly tired lately. Word from WV is that he can't get a decent meal anywhere and he's working more hours than I though possible. He's going to be so wiped out.

I pulled up in the parking lot today behind my apartment and stared at this beautiful weeping cherry tree and a squirrel in it for a while today, it was very relaxing. Pretty funny watching the squirrel scampering around up there with his wedge of pizza crust that he'd scavenged from somewhere. It was bigger than his head and he was just hopping from limb to limb to the roof and over with it in his mouth. I could equivocate it to me trying to jump rope with a whole cheesesteak hoagie in my mouth. Squirrels are so funny, tasty too!

But I cleared out some of the crap in my car and came across the directions I printed out the first time I went up to visit Doug in Greenfield, Mass. Got a bit nostaligic about that -- though about how two weeks away from each other was doing pretty good when we were driving 330 miles one way to visit. So far so good on it paying off for both of us, though I think he puts up with more crap than I do. Today the people that we are possibly buying a house from are meeting with the realtor to draw up the contract, then the realtor will meet with us to review it. I hope it all works out. I love this house, and the property its on. Five acres, old farmhouse, a few outbuildings, a creek... all the good stuff. There's an old barn that's gonna have to come down before we move. Allison and Rob are going to salvage what they can from it then have the fire company help burn it down. The foundations are stone though, so completely usable and there's a 10 foot deep pile of old manure too -- I'm really excited about that since I intend to play in the dirt a lot and grow things. It's not just any ol' shit that gets me excited.

...and I garden, I really miss that. Doug bought me a straw hat to wear when I play in the dirt to protect my highly burnable skin. It's got some icky raffia stuff around the band now, but I'll switch it or some pretty gauzy ribbon.....

I'm trying not to get my hopes to set on it. It needs tons and tons of work yet, the current owners (allison and rob) have done a whole lot but it still needs more. However there's already a chicken coop built which means I can have chickens right away and I'm thinking about turning the far back section into a goat pasture. Okay so I'm a hick right down to my bare dirty soles.

Time to go now, my friend Raven just showed up with her baby, Morgan, and I get to go play with the baby now!

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

lmao L, you belong down here, staw hat, goats and all.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Damn Laura,

That property sounds awesome, and perfect for you. Property must be much less expensive up there. Five acres here would go for about a quarter million or more. And that's just for the land, forget having a house on it, or any sort of structure.

Wil and I were considering moving, until we realized that you can't get anything in this city, or within a hundred miles for less that $150,000, and those houses that are on the lower end are ones with significant hurricane damage. We looked at one that even had half of the roof missing, as in, it's been raining inside for the last 8 months, and it was closer to the $200,000 range.

Ridiculous. We can't afford to move. So we're going to cash out some equity and add on to this dump. Maybe by the time we're done, it won't be a dump anymore.

Either that, or we'll just sell everything and come live with you. :)

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home