Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Empanadas, Sushi, and the darn cat

Our Russian Blue kitty, Gigi, decided on Sunday that she needed a new friend. REALLLY needed a new friend. As in boyfriend.

Half the night and half the day, she wails loudly to see if her new friend is anywhere around. When she's not wandering around the house wailing, she's eyeballing me, Doug, or my brother to see if we could help her. (ick)

I hate cats in heat. Gigi just looks so confused and miserable -- and there is no where in this house for us to put her where we couldn't hear her. I hope it's done soon. She sounds creepily like a crying baby when she's downstairs, and at 2 a.m. that's just disconcerting.

She is SO getting spayed.

....in other news. Doug suggested that I sign up for this course, so I took him up on it. I'm excited. I get to learn to make sushi! What's even cooler is that I have a whole new pile sushi making accessories to try out once I learn. Yum.

Oh and to make up for the haggis post:




You may drool now. I filled these yummy pastries with ground turkey, chilis and spices. The beans and rice turned out awesome too, with chili, onion, beans, saffron and some other goodies.









These I filled with guava paste and cream cheese then sprinkled them with a touch of confectioners sugar. I didn't get a photo the insides as they went too fast! Very tasty and relatively quick. The pastries come as premade discs which makes them very handy. I may try a miniature version one day and see how that goes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Yay...you get to learn how to make sushi!

It's pretty fun, if a bit tedious at times. But think: you will be able to make sushi whenever you want (and have time...).

Sorry, Laura; but nothing can make up for that haggis post.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Yummy L! I'd love to take that sushi course with you. Sounds incredible. My dad made us a pan seared rare tuna dish this afternoon for lunch. Sort of sushi minus the rice and nori. It was delicious. No pictures. We ate it before he had a chance to even really plate it properly.

Your empanadas look impressive as well. They're a staple around here. I usually make them with a ground beef mixture and I make them in bulk because they freeze very well. Pop them in zip-locks and pull them out as needed.

I've never made the guava filled ones before, but they sound wonderful! Funny enough, we had rice and beans for dinner last night, too. Great minds thing alike, eh?

Keep us updated on the sushi class, and yes, lots of pictures! Yum!

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum all around!!!!! Good luck with the sushi class. Did anyone else notice that the last 4 of the phone # is Tofu!!!!!!I'm sooo cracking up right now.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home