Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Friday, March 03, 2006

school shopping


I can't believe it's already March. My classes start on Monday and I'm incredibly nervous. Most folks I know in person don't understand why I'm so nervous, I think they just assume for one reason or another, that I've had some experience in college. I have, in fact, two whole weeks before I dropped everything. (long story) Needless to say, it's been a matter of contention for me, and I try not to advertise the fact that I've got nuthin' more than a high school diploma (albeit 3.5 GPA, honors, and advanced placement creds).

When I complete this course, I can at least feel like I've got some kind of specialized training, and the great thing about the massage therapy field is that I can expand that with continued education into any number of areas I'm interested in. But the best part? School shopping!

The idea of school shopping took me way back... what would I get? I'm such a dork for office and school supply-type items. You know how a lot of middle-aged guys go back and get the car they always wanted when they were younger? Yeah, I was afraid I'd walk away with a whole load of things like a Trapper Keeper with a unicorn on it, Lisa Frank folders and stickers with rainbows and unicorns, pencils that change color with your body heat and unicorns, hollow pencils with the points that come off and get stuck back throught the top and the new point is there with unicorns, Mr. Sketch scented markers, a pencil box with secret compartments and unicorns, extra erasers that smell like grapes, strawberries, or unicorns.... *grin*you get the point.

Several friends convinced me that I was not re-entering middle school, so should probably stick to something more appropriate. So I Doug and I went shopping. I made a pretty decent haul. It was surreal trying to figure out what I would need and actually having to purchase loose leaf paper. We also went clothes shopping. I got two really cool funky skirts for $7 a piece, and a bunch of shirts. Since I'll be going from work to school, I needed some that would be versatile and so got a bunch of 3/4 length sleeve knit shirts.

For supplies I have basic stuff, a Mead Five-Star zipper binder, three-hole punch, some pencils, some pens, some paper.... AND I did manage to wriggle in a few Sponge Bob folders. I also know I have some Garbage Pail Kids and My Little Pony stickers hanging out somewhere, and some cute kitten stickers from E2 to decorate with....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Japanese "good luck" wish:

Do your BEST! ;)

-caw, caw

1:42 AM  
Blogger westcoastmama said...

lol...school shopping...Have a great first day!!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Pille said...

Massage therapy - cool! I have a cousin who did a diploma, as well as a Japanese friend who studied reflexology. I was lucky enough to be near enough when they needed to practice:)
Hope you're enjoying the school!

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home