Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

On Romance

I think romance is what you make of it. Doug's and my first dinner ever was frozen pizza and tossed salad (to be exact, Rose's frozen pizza, Fresh Express Iceburg salad with carrot slivers, and Lite Done Right Ranch dressing... this memory of mine is scary, huh?) He prepared it for this strange, brazen redhead that had driven 6 hours to meet him.

So we had thought about reservations at The Melting Pot, or some kind of dinner out, but with all the money flying out of our accounts right now, on the house and renovations, I suggested a night in. We even had a romantic little foray into a very deserted Home Depot for ceiling medallions (and I got a WAY cool new cutting board, it's HUGE).





...and I made a little something sweet, too. Strawberry Rhubarb pie. Doug loves rhubarb. I got these strawberries and rhubarb and an Amish stand last summer. They smelled so wonderful that I got surplus, chopped them up and froze them with the intent of making my honey a pie sometime in the winter when a little burst of summer would be welcome. Of course, we were too tired to eat it last night, but I tasted the filling during preparation so I think it'll be good.




In other husband news, Doug has been particularly amused lately by the fact that our digital camera lives in the kitchen. I'll get dinner on the table and if it looks particularly good, I have to do the photo shoot before anyone can eat. So he's decided to photo journal his food preparation responsibilities. Honestly, probably the most import meal of the day.... feeding the kitties.

I think the kibbles look particularly savoury this day.....






And he makes a mean Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich, lemme tell ya.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

L, that's so sweet- the first dinner thing.
I think our first meal, as a couple, was taco bell burritos in the front seat of my idling saturn parked in a Winn-Dixie parking lot at 2am waiting for the phonecall that my grandpa had passed away. Or at least, that's the one I remember most. I'm sure there were meals befor that, considering we'd already been dating three months, but I can't recall any of them.

BTW- Doug does make a killer PB&J. Just the right amount of peanutbutter there, and jelly spread all the way across the bread. So many people just leave it all lumped in the center, what an insult to the american lunch staple!

9:23 AM  
Blogger e said...

You two are unbelievable adorable. :o)

8:40 PM  
Blogger e said...

Damnit. Don'cha hate it when you hit the E instead of the Y? I am so very anal retentive that the error is staring at me, vexing me. Look, Erin! Looooooook. TYPO! *evil laughter* OK, maybe too much caffeine today...

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our first dinner was Chinese at the mall. Last Saterday his mom babysat so we could go out early for Valentine's Day and we had discussed going to the mall and then getting Chinese food but we found a cute little diner instead.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Mother Raven said...

Humph!
Romance is for the Birds!

(And no I do not remember our first meal, but I think I remember our Last...
*lol*)

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home