Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

more progress

I couldn't type more than a few lines for a few days. 1) because we were verra busy and 2) because the tendons and muscles in my wrists and forearmes were painfully swollen. Apparently doing about 300 square feet of grout will do that to you. I gave up the "hands and knees" approach when I realized I was simply putting too much weight on my support arm. After that point, I started doing wider rows of two tiles and skootched along on my butt.

I had pain in placed I didn't know I had things to hurt. My hands were so bad on Saturday that I was relieved of hammering detail while doing the trim work. The vibrations from the impact were too much. This is quite scary to someone who intends to make a living off their hands. But they're better now and I don't think I'll be encountering anything quite so drastic for a bit. Doug did an amazing job laying the tile out, I think my groutwork is pretty good, too. Today I'm going to clean the haze up off the tile, however we can't seal for three days, and there will be workmen here somewhere in that mess, so I think we'll put off sealing until the cabinets are in.

Oh yeah, and the cabinets are coming this week!!! Devin is nearly done the pantry drywall, in fact it may just need one more sanding, which I can do. We have the bifold door up. Anyone who hear's me pick out an unfinished louvered door and say that I'll paint it or stain it myself has a right to kick me in the head. I finished a ceiling in the time it took to paint that door.

Oh, and the siding guys are here, too. How exciting is that? They'll put on the pretty new siding, shutters, trim, wrap the window out, soffits and fascia this week. Yes, there will be pictures soon.

I can't wait for this kitchen to get done. If anyone needs to drool, here are the specs:

  • 27 square foot rectangular pantry with 8 foot to 8 3/4 foot ceiling
  • the body of the kitchen is roughly 250 square feet - 19' x 13'
  • 5 burner Dacor gas range with a simmer and a sear burner as well as griddle and grill attachments
  • no double oven, have a gas oven and built in convection microwave above it
  • granite composite countertops
  • really purty Itallian tile, rustic looking, sturdy. I dropped a hammer headfirst on it and it didn't even chip
  • lots of custom cabinets
  • a big ol' island
  • AND Doug is letting me put up a Moravian Star light fixture in the entryway!

There's a good bit more detail, but it would make more sense for me to share photos when it's done. I can't believe how much the room has changed. Even though we are outsourcing a lot, knowing that Doug and myself and some friends and family that are very generous with their time and energy have pitched in to do a lot of the work really makes it so much more wonderful.

Well, off to paint and clean some more.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

Laura, I had all but forgotten the pain and swelling in the wrists after doing my livingroom floor. Reading this brought back phantom pains. Ugh.

I also found the butt skooch method to be much easier than the hands and knees approach.

I can't wait to see pictures of the end product. I'm so insanely jealous! My kitchen is about the same size, dimension wise, but it's not laid out well and there's really a very limited amount of usable space. What I'd give for a well designed kitchen! Especially one that I got to design!

I love the light, too. That's way cool!

1:47 PM  
Blogger e said...

Laura, do you have arnica at home? If not, you may have another small package coming your way!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

ahh Ang, I'm sorry for the phantom pains, though I'm glad to get a second on the butt skootch method, so I don't feel like a total moron. :) Every one else I know that's done tile is male, has to be a badass about it....

E2, arnica? I just read up on the stuff. Wow. I feel sheepish, I actually know a good bit about homeopathic and herbal remedies and had never even thought of or tried it. Hrmph. Does it work for you ?

8:55 AM  
Blogger e said...

It comes in ointment and gel. I would recommend the gel. I used it a bunch after the car accident and I use it on Jay when his screwed up rotator cuff bothers him. I also have a friend at work with chronic shoulder, wrist and elbow pain and I gave her a tube and she LOVES it. So I do think it works, yes indeedy. It also smells a ton better than the minty/menthol alternatives. The one I buy is by Boiron. LINK

7:36 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

E2 - I may have to go checka that stuff out. I'm still all achy and weird in my hands, which scares the bejeezus outta me.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home