Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

New Chicken

Sunday, as we were finishing up our long day of drywalling, Raven's mom showed up with a chicken. A new chicken, in fact, for our little group. She has a friend up in New Hampshire where she lives who is happy to have a home for some of them, so whenever she comes down this way she catches as many as she can, pops them in a cat carrier, and carts them on down here.

The new girl even showed up with an egg! She's less sedate than the others, and is still getting used to them and us. I don't think she was well received, initially by the others. So at one point on the first day, I found her down by the creek, many, many, yards -- almost half an acre from the other chickens. So I chased her up towards the coop and only successfully ended up chasing her up and down the creek, in the mud, and into the briars before I realized I was nearly late for work.

At least when I go home she was in with the others. She'll work out okay, though, I think that the Collette-chicken is jealous since the rooster's been paying attention to the new girl. The Colonel doesn't pay much attention to the two Wyandottes, though. Maybe he's only into white chicks. Racist barstard.


"What do you mean by 'She's kinda cute.'"?



"Uppity hussy! *peck* Don't you dare *peck* think you can lay a *peck* feather on my man!*peck peck peck*"



"Help! Help! The pouffy one's gonna kill me!"





So I decided to escape to the back of the property for a little respite from all the drama in the coop.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

Have you ever considered a career in photography? You take the most beatiful pictures I've ever seen!

BTW, hope your chickens enjoy their feathers while the can. May is not all that far away! :)

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home