Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

progress

the only places I don't have paint, are those that are covered by clothing - and I think some of those may be suspect. :)

We have two weeks to finish the kitchen. All life beyond that goal, is secondary - well, most, anyway. I'm still going to work.

This weekend, the in-laws stopped in on their way to Florida and were amazingly tolerant to the copious amounts of drywall dust and cat-in-heat yowling. Fortunately Devin was handling most of the work on Saturday so we were able to show Doug's parents around the place. Couple that with gorgeous weather and it made for a busy but pleasant day. Sunday afternoon they headed out after I fixed "brunch" (read, I didn't get going until about 10 a.m. to start cooking) and I was able to start the messy business of primer-ing.

I think I have a permanant crick in my neck from painting our vaulted ceiling which goes from 9 feet to I think 12 or more. I've lost track. Doug went to Home Depot to get our paint colors (he picked out the pantry color all by himself! *grin*) and I got to work painting. This morning, Devin got up and did some more sanding (the pantry area is still being spackled), then I got up and did some more sanding -- and in that time period, the siding guys showed up and started putting up the silver insulation stuff AND the Terminix guy showed up and did his thing. I'm still floored as to how 20 minutes worth of work can cost that much, but we're over a barrell on the whole termite thing. We probably got no active infestation, but the previous owner lost his paperwork to prove treatment.... and I did most of the second round of primer this morning after sanding some.

Then I went to work. Went to Home Depot for some more paint trays. Came home and finished the second layer of primer, painted the ceiling with ceiling paint, and painted under the bulkheads with my accent color. Sanded some more, and hung out with Devin some. Poor guy, he comes to live with Doug and I and he's worked his butt off every day.

Tomorrow, I get up early, paint the second coat on the ceiling, second coat on the bulkhead. And maybe practice my faux techinique in a few inconspicous places, maybe do the stain on the bifold. Then go to work, come back, tape it proper and do the color layer.

We have high hopes to start tile on Wednesday.

Pass the coffee, please.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dustin said...

painting seems to calm my nerves....is that normal?

1:33 AM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Wow L! So much work going on. I really wish I were there and could help you out. I love doing the home improvement thing! Only, I have a hard time getting motivated on my own. Hence the reason my master bath is STILL unusable.

BTW, drywall and the subsequent dust suck! I'm still sneezing it.

And that's what brothers are for, ya know? Free labor. Don't worry, I'm sure there will come a time when you return the favor.

1:04 PM  
Blogger e said...

Doesn't she return the favor all the time by feeding them? I'd consider that OVERpayment! :-D

1:58 PM  
Blogger e said...

Oh, crap... Let me specify that I didn't mean the work wasn't worth it, I meant the food sounds AWESOME!!

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So *this* is what haggis does to the psyche.

Heh.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

busy, busy, busy! Remember to take some time for yourself.

5:16 PM  
Blogger e said...

*knock knock* Anybody home?

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home