Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Healthy Eating 101 ;)

Where I grew up in Maryland was right on the cusp of the famous North/South division. Folks around there were really able to pick and choose their stance on things. Basically, and this is a point of some debate, which I'm not going to open, it seems there was a sense of Northern politics and Southern culture - even now.

I was raised with Southern manners, Southern and Foothill cooking, Southern language and the open mind our Yankee neighbors were so proud of. 'Course this could be more my family's doing than my region, but I know a number of folks like me. I think, though, that this culture is more embodied in food than anything else. My husband, prior to moving here had never even really had sweet tea, poor soul, and I recall scrapple being a matter of novelty when I mentioned it at one of his friend's parties up north.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go on a tear about that, it was more to preface my day of snowbound cooking. See Southerners (and yes this is a cliche) do hold by a number of belief's with their food. One is that just about anything can be improved with the addition of pork, and another is that just about any food item, especially a vegetable, can be improved with a deep-frying method of preparation.

Witness exhibit 1-
Country gravy as improved by the addition of browned crumbled breakfast sausage (a.k.a. Sausage Gravy) Served over homemade biscuits and a trusty glass of orange juice on the side. This is one of the things I make best, however I make it rarely due to it's arterial demands. Boy it's good. It's also one of the recipes I just can't share. Not that there's anything secretive about it, only that every addition and time are basically "Until it looks right". I can show someone how to make it, but telling 'em is no good.


Exhibit 2: a late night snack -
pickled cucumbers as improved by deep frying. Also known as deep fried dill pickles. This is commonly served with deep fried catfish and hush puppies. Mmm, hush puppies. Anyway, that's way more popular a little deeper south and towards Texas a bit. I was actually inspired to make these on their own and serve them with ranch dressing dip. That particular version is reminiscent of the Maryland Renaissance Festival.

I've been hankering for a good RenFair since the wedding. I had pickles like these last year, and these are just as good. Now if only I can re-create the Turkey (emu) Legs, chocolate covered frozen cheesecake on a stick, and Scotch Eggs, I'll be good.

In fact, for another health food weekend, I may try to make Scotch Eggs. Hopefully my arteries will hold up.....maybe that experiment can wait a few weeks.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

Laura, my dad made scotch eggs for 50 just a few weeks ago. Egads that's a whole lotta eggs!

My favorite food in this post has to be the sausage gravy over biscuits. Oh my good lord! It's been years since anyone has served that particular southern staple around here. One of my favorites, and a Sunday guarantee when I was growing up. Of course, ours was always much skimpier on the sausage, coming from a less well to do family and all. But I loved it, just the same. You're so making this when I come up to visit!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

I forgot to mention just how much I love hush puppies. They are like redneck bon-bons. Package those babies up in a heart shaped box and I'd probably ask you to marry me.

What's that? Oh, right, married already. All the good ones are taken.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, tasty..zombie sausage gravy and Scotch legs..

9:07 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

red neck bon-bons, whee! I'm still laughing about that. Wonder if you can make chocolate covered hush puppies? I bet that would be strange but good. Ang, I'll make it when you come up, no problem. And you can bet if I had to make it every week or so there'd be a helluva lot less sausage in it, too. :)

Sair - yech! I'm not into formaldahyde has a food group thank you very much. You're just trying to gross me out, aren'tcha? *grin*

oh, cool thing, my verification letters spell "moxyy" how cool is that? i've got moxy. :)

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DEEP FRIED PICKLES!!!!!!!!! I didn't think you could improve a pickle. How could I be soooo wrong. Must have deep fried pickles & the cheesecake on a stick would be good too. But I must say my favorite stick food is a frozen chocolate covered banana covered with peanuts. MMMMMMMMMMM. Now I can go have sweet pickle-filled dreams. Did I mention I love pickles.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home