Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Easy as Pie

..... well tasty, anyway. Just wanted to share to fruit of Erica's and my efforts today. After a quick trip to the grocery store to see what looked good. We settled on making a pumpkin pie, a rustic apple and cherry tart, and some cookies.
Yum.
I am not a fan of pumpkin pie. Or wasn't. I don't care for pale orange, wussy pumpkin pie. I like a little kick in my pie. We found this recipe and it's sooooo yummy. Dark molasses and heavy cream and orange marmalade really give this some kick. The recipe called for a tiny amount of spices, so of course, I had to go well over that!

We couldn't find any cookie cutters as the grocery (and I don't own any, sadly) so I took the bottom of my maple leaf muffin pan and pressed it into the pastry, then cut our around the leaves. They turned out beautifully, then I put a pinch of maple sugar on each one so it would melt over the surface. It kind of obscured the design on the leave, but it is tasty!


Tart-y goodness. Country-Style Brandied Apple and Dried Cherry tarts. Well actually the recipe calls for you to brandy the cherries. Dried out a bit, I tend to like my apples saucy in a pie, but very tasty. We put an egg wash on the outside to strenghten it a bit, and baked them on parchement paper on a pizza stone. We also addes some chopped pecans and currants to the mix. I can't leave anything alone, I know.

Looks like miles of the stuff, eh?



"... the sweetest cherry in the apple pie..." We had so much filling left over that we brandied some more cherries and Erica showed off how handy she can be with pastry. She hand cut each of those little apples and leaves.

It when it came out, between the egg wash and the coarse sugar, it was just so pretty! I think this time we didn't let the cherries plump up in the brandy as long as they should have. So the dried cherries are exceptionally chewy, and the apple dried out a bit on top of the pie, a bit of butter did help that.

Peanut Butter cookies. I may mess with and/or butcher many recipes that come may way in order to suit my preferences. I do NOT mess with the Fanny Farmer peanut butter cookie recipe. And the best peaunut butter for cookies? The government issue stuff, of course! Erica's daughter, Eve, who is 4, was a huge help in making these. She leveled and added all the flour while I was mixing... of course, getting the flour out of all the other places it got added to is another trick altoghter..... but I think she had a good time.



9 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

Oh my! How delicious! I'm a huge fan of the pumpkin pie. Wanna send me that recipe for Thanksgiving? It looks absolutely stunning, as does the apple. I'm so horrible with pastry. I would never have the patience to hand cut all of those apples. I do, however, have great little leaf cutters, as well as a whole slew of other cookie cutters. They make great play-toys for the kids.

Jonas is still to little to help in the kitchen, but Steven's my main man when it comes to measuring, dumping, stirring, etc.

Glad you had so much fun. So many people consider cooking a chore.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

ooh, peanut butter cookies! Send me some!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hey Ang,

I'll definately send you the recipe, it was quite tasty, and ya know what? A good pastry crust that's handmade is wonderful -- but so messy, I tend to procrastinate making pies. I'm not shy about admitting that most pies are made with premade crust. That way they at least get MADE. In fact, Pillsbury has one available that's rolled into cylinders instead of folded... eliminating seam rips. Hallelujah!

I think your leaf cookie cutters would be ideal, I'd love to see how it turned out!


and Vickie -- be careful what you wish for!! *grin*

11:04 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Man L, D's got it good. I remember how he used to talk about rice, rice, rice - he ate it 5 nights a week. He also swore he loved the stuff. Somehow I figure he loves your cooking more than the rice...

These are all so beautiful. I haven't got the skill or the patience for baking, let alone baking gorgeous stuff. The concept of actually taking pictures of stuff I make... well, only once I can think of - and that was for the entertainment value of the absolute mess I'd made of a birthday cake.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Laura,

Marie Callendar makes a damn fine pre-made crust as well. As far as I know, they only come pre-pressed into foil pans, so the top crust is still an issue. On Halloween my mom and I made a cherry and a pumpkin pie. We used those and made the top crust for the cherry. It turned out terrible! Obviously not enough moisture in the top crust, it just fell apart like bread crumbs. But the bottom crust was excellent!:)

6:00 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Hmm, I remember years where the day before Thanksgiving I used to have to make the pie crust for my mom. We got a recipe in HomeEc in the 9th grade that was super easy and very good. I hated the day before Thanksgiving. Now she buys the pre-made ones.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay now I'm hungry! Must have recipes! Especially those lovely peanut butter cookies. We are making ordinary pumpkin pies tomorrow. The girls are really excited & want to help. They even want to help read the recipe & count ingredients. How could you not have cookie cutters!!!!!! Remember, cookie cutters are like shoes (okay Chuck & Doug both just got the urge to scream & don't know why)you can never have too many! Actually, I need a few more holiday shapes that I don't have. (see this is the harm from me working in retail)

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some great looking pies, and that comes from a guy who has done more than his fair share of pie eating.

3:25 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Alan,

mahalo for stopping by -- I don't think there's any such thing as more than one's fair share of pie eating -- I mean think about all those lonely pies in the bakery display case -- really.... you're doing them a favor. :)

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home