Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Countdown

I have to apologize for any lack of bloggitty goodness it's been a hectic few weeks.


So now-- now that almost everything is set that can be set -- now I freak out. Of course, because, it doesn't take much brainpower to tie raffia around 60 wedding favors, a basket or two, my head, the kitties, the rabbit.... I digress. Anyway, it's just a bit odd realizing that this upcoming weekend is my last weekend as a single woman -- well, not married, anyway.

I think for men it's different. Doug will still be Mr. Doug and have the same last name -- but me? I get to change my prefix and my last name (of course, you know I've written my new name a whole bunch of times, right?)

So it's like a whole new identity, indeed, for me it is. Not only will I be a married woman, but I've given notice at the company where I've worked for the past 8 years (i'm 26 - you do the math) and will be working part time or close to full time until I start massage school. I'll probably also be taking a bit of time completely off so that I can work around the house and be there when the contractors are there. Doug is cool with this -- or -- as cool as he's letting me see him be. I know he's a bit worried.... but I just haven't been human lately with some of the work I do. That, and I've had dreams of doing this for the past five years -- eventually opening my own spa. I think that's one of the best gifts he could give me -- a chance to follow my dreams. I'm a lucky girl.

So, on the super-short notice of the wedding we have everything sorted out. We did not lose our deposits, but converted them into services. We have a tent, chairs, and tables. We have a caterer -- my cousin handled that call and set it up, which lifted a huge weight off my shoulders and makes this whole thing seem "real" -- and hopefully tasty. She really just rocked, I had written anything good from the caterer off.

What I personally like the best about this is that since it's short notice, we've been able to distill out some of the stuff we didn't like so much -- for example: Wedding Cake. Yes, I like it, it's pretty and all that. If we were still having the big wedding, we'd do a cake. What I think is really cool, is that we're getting a big ol' pile of Apple Cider Donuts from Millburn Orchards -- they are a cult favorite in this region -- sooo tasty, and fresh baked that morning.

Lexi threw me a bridal shower while she was up here on HER vacation. I was so impressed, the whole theme was "pampering" I got my first ever pedicure, some really cool presents and to spend time with my bestest closest girls. Everyone was so impressed with how Lex pulled that together especially since she planned the whole thing from home in Hawaii!

Well my lunch break is almost done -- will have to blog more later -- I can't believe how much has developed since the last time, so I'll have to get better about it in the future.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

Sounds like you've been super busy lately. I guess we can forgive your absence, for a little while.

I think it's cool that you're going to be starting massage school. I think that's right up your alley, and so much more fulfilling than working for some big company where you're just a name and a number.

I'd write more, but my lunch break is now over. :)

Lunch blogging, isn't it great?

12:25 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Follow your dreams and be a huge success. Doug can't possibly have a problem with that. Best wishes.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

massage school? that's awesome. believe me, doug will be very satisfied with that little class.

i hope you two have a beautiful wedding. sorry we cannot make it. i'm very happy for the both of you and will hold a glass up on your wedding day (of apple juice).

jenni

6:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Just realized the big day is, well...mere days away.

WIshing you both all the happiness the world can spare...and that it doesn't rain!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Wooo hooo! Three days from now, you'll officially be Mrs. Douglas Seavey!

When signing the marriage license, read the fine print... pay close attention to the art about how Party A (aka "bride") hereby agrees to wear Hawaiian shirts. . .

Love you guys! I'm so excited! Wish I could be there!

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lexi did throw a Very nice bridal shower. I had a great time. I wish I hadn't been to chicken to take advantage of the pampering. I think I could have used a facial (never had one). N E way that was a stoke of genius on her part. And I was so impressed with the "a little piece of Hawaii" favors she made. Useful and Yummy!

12:51 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

TOOOOOOOOOOOO-MORROW to-MORROW, I LV YA! Tomorrow!!!

May it be the most perfect day of y'all's lives
*smooch* to you both!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The name thing was so weird for me too; obviously. Anyway I have always liked the way David addresses a married couple.

Joan & John Dough.

Not so much because the chick name comes first but also because the guy name is all together and I dunno... it just seems better to me.

or Mr. & Mrs. Joe & Joan Dough.
Mrs. & Mr. Joan & Joe Dough...

hmmm... Yup, i've lost it, again.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home