Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

As promised....

Welcome to Barnhenge

So this is the spot. This was once a full barn -- we wanted to keep the foundation because it was just so pretty. It'll get put to good use.


Moving day. The tarpapered area is going to be our new kitchen. The hoopty moving truck has since been returned. As you can see, windows and siding are a must!


Again, proof that windows and siding are needed (contract in the works). The front porch, with all that trim is great. Doug and I eat dinner there a few nights a week. Something about friends hanging out on the front porch chatting is just a happy thing.

Dining room. No really, those windows look out into .....another room! Apparently the room beyond them used to be a sun porch. Doug and I are going to do something cool with the windows, the sun porch will eventually be a bathroom and mudroom. Currently it is referred to as "the hardware store" since that's where the tools are kept. The previous owners did a great job painting the downstairs, thought the floors need work.....
...and the upstairs have great refinished floors but cracked plaster walls. This casement with the light coming through is the first thing we see in the morning, provided a starving kitty is not in one's face."One long staircase just going up.....

and one even longer coming down." (treacherous!)
As if the symbolism were not blatant enough, the thought of painting it flesh-tone has crossed my mind. We like the silo though, it's not going anywhere any time soon and attracts bats. Sounds like a winner to me.
As far as the eye can see is our property -- well, up until the mowed area starts. This is a close up of one side of the barn ruins taken from the top of the driveway. From the driveway, they seem sunk down, however that's just because the old barn was built into the side of a hill.
Lovely lovely arches. One day this will be a patio area and outdoor kitchen.Master of his domain. I love this picture of Doug, of course, it may have been taken just BEFORE he signed the mortgage papers.
Yes, it's purple. No it didn't come that way. My honey indulges my whims where permissable and the girls love it. Of course, the coop almost ended up pink-and-purple camo. Now I just have to make some curtains for the windows :)

Doug thought that the chickens needed a special welcome mat of their very own. That and they might not realize it was the same coop.

This is the low pasture. (where I broke the mower) This one is so secluded-- and probably the flattest place on the property!

This is the high pasture. We used the word pasture even though nothing grazes there. They look like something out of "Camelot", the picture does it no justice. The pastures are covered in wildflowers. This one, I think, will be used as goat pasture as needed within the next few years.
Some local fauna. The butterfly bush is a whirlwind of activity. Also just about every evening the hummingbirds go nuts over the moonflowers in the overgrown areas. Tonight I saw about 15 out there.
I have never seen a thistle this tall. I am nearly 6 feet tall and this thistle was considerably taller than me! I'm absolutely enthralled by them, having never seen them grow all the way up....
...and then puff into seed pods.
chicken!!!!!!! mistress of all she purveys.
New kitty. This is Gigi. She's a Russian Blue and is very quick to let you know when she's in the room. She loves to announce her presence loudly and attack toes. She adores Doug and tolerates me.
Poor Collette, she is still jumpy at all the extra noises in this big house and knows it's safe under the bed. She's getting better. At first, Gigi (who is little) intimidated her because she is so vocal. I think she's getting out of it, they even play now. Just the other day she body-checked Gigi on the way to her food bowl. NOTHING gets between Collette and her food bowl.
Meet Pierre Rabbit. He's a 3-4 year old lop-eared bunny of some variety. Pierre loves to play with the cats. His first night here he chased Gigi around the couch several times. Instead of a dog and pony show, we had a cat and bunny show! They all seemed to enjoy playing together. Pierre lives in his cage unless we are around since he enjoys electrical cords. I think he's getting used to us. He's kinda scruffy but sweet tempered.
Dinner for two on the front porch. MMMMM. Potatoes with goat cheese.
I love this picture -- the way the barn ruins seem to rise up out of the overgrowth like they will always be there -- hopefully, so will we.






18 Comments:

Blogger e said...

Oh Laura - it's GORGEOUS!!!! How far is it from NH? I might need to take a camping trip again before it gets cold. Lol. *wink wink*

7:57 AM  
Blogger e said...

P.S. Often Blogger pisses me off, but I am happy to see that they jumped right on the comment spam problem. :) Yay Blogger.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Laura!

It looks like absolute paradise! COngratulations on your new home. BTW, Wil and I are packing our bags and should be there in the next couple of days. Don't worry,we won't be any bother. I'm sure the chickens won't mind sharing their fancy henhouse. It's about the size of our current home, anyway. :)

Seriously, your house, and your property are amazing. I'm so glad you're finally in.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Everything looks wonderful, Laura. Thanks for posting all of the pictures.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

E2, come on down, and Angie, come on up. Whoever gets here first gets to use the spare bedroom, the other person can use...well, the chicken coop is pretty nice, and we have a couple of outbuildings that are dry. It really is a great place, and last night, we got to have a big brush fire in the barn ruins...it was just a fun time. Ah, the joys we have. Between work. :)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Emily Lloyd said...

Beautiful--Laura, I got to your blog through a comment on Jenni Russell's...do you really live in Delaware? I've never met another writer-blogger from there. I'm in Milford, Sussex County, with nowhere near as gorgeous a property as this [grin]

em
poesygalore.blogspot.com

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Show off! ;) Let me express again how happy I am for you. And I can personally attest that it is as wonderful as it looks. That and Laura has the Eye. But for all those who feel an envious tug on thier heartstrings, here is some sour-grape medicine: Maintenance, Maintenance and MORE maintenance. A place like that is like grandchildren; it's nice to visit. I'm jealous too, can't ya tell!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Did I mention that the first picture, and the one of the chicken deserve to be in frames? All of them are beautiful, but those two, in particular, look like true art.

Raven, I can imagine that there probably IS a ton of maintenance, but I think I'd be willing to maintain for such a lovely piece of property.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Oh wow! What beautiful property! You guys done good, and yes, I think that's the best picture I've seen yet of Mr D.

I'm so jealous of the "yard" and the porch! This is exactly the sort of place I'd buy, if I had the money (or a Doug) to pay for it!

You guys are so lucky, and I'm SO happy for you! and so totally jealous!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

E2! -- you can come camp here whenever, just give some notice so that the chickens don't gank ya -- we're training them to be a select team of chicken-ninjas.

Ang -- you too, there's the chicken coop, the silo, or one of the two outbuildings -- i'm sure one of them doesn't have a wasp problem *grin* Doug and I are both looking forward to having folks out to inspect sometime after we get some work done. -- On the photos.. thanks... not to sound like I'm horn tooting, but I think you're the third person to groove on them. I actually have others that I may enter in a contest that Raven pointed me to... worth a shot anyway.

Vicki -- thanks, glad to post, sorry for not being around as much -

Emily -- thanks for stopping by! I thought I recognized your name from somewhere -- you live in Delaware? Really? I know the area -- we lived in Newark up until we bought this place, now we live just barely in PA. You're absolutely the closest person I've run into, how cool. I will stop by and visit your blog:)


E -- we're working on cloning doug. I'll let you know when it's successful -- can you imagine how much mayhem your crew would cause over here? 'course, ma might accidentally get stuck in the briars, but hey... accidents happen!

9:07 PM  
Blogger me said...

Youse are going to have the best life there! If you don't have it already! I'm jealous! It reminds me of our neighbor's place up north! ~ML and good luck to you two nutty kids! :-)

11:29 PM  
Blogger e said...

Laura, do you have big (1124 x 768) copies of the barn pics? Specifically, the one captioned "lovely lovely arches," and the last one? They'd make good desktops! If you have 'em and get chance to email, that'd be cool. :)

4:46 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Laura...you lucky girl!

What a fabulous place...old buildings are the best, aren't they? Our house is only 75, but it's filled with personality.

Thanks so much for stopping by my food blog; I'm finally getting around to adding you to my daily reads list...and I'll be trying out that chicken soon; Matt loves any excuse to use buttermilk!

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That butterfly is beautiful.

Get an analog camera from a thrift store and go out and do wonders, Laura.

Speaking of maintenance, when can I come by with my Minolta and do the before and after pictures?

That place is a dream to photographers, visitors, and residents alike, yes?

12:14 PM  
Blogger Dez M.E. King said...

weeee! Pretty happy weeee! ~claps~

5:52 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

e2 -- I'll work on getting those to ya!


stephanie -- thanks for stopping by! I love your food blog, do poke in your other one occasionally. Seems like I just throw everything alltogther in here ;) buttermilk is one of those things that when I run across in a recipe I know it's gotta be good... like my buttermilk bran muffins.. oh my!


mike c -- thanks for dropping in buddy, you can be jealous of doug and i up to our armpits in grout this week!

mike mike.- you are welcome any time, come over and take whatever pics you want. :) seriously , I'll let you know where the spare key is.... i miss you.

dezi -- the lower pasture -- secluded and fluffy is screaming for a may pole and bonfire, methinks.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, particularly the wildflower meadow, and a perfect place for your talents. Now write to me, lady :) It's been far too long.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

This place is amazing. It looks like one of the many houses I lived in as a child. We always lived in no-mans land. This is my dream to be in this type of environment with a house to customize, and here you have it. Well deserved, I suspect. Be well.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home