Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Friday, August 12, 2005

and then there were four

I came home yesterday a dead chicken in the driveway. Not just any dead chicken, but the one chicken that has a name. Lucky. Probably the most "tame" and my favorite. There were four clumps of feathers and a dead Lucky. An eerie silence prevailed, I was sure something had gotten the others.

After my initial freak out (calling Doug near tears) one of the chickens appeared. I was convinces something had carted off almost all the chickens except her and Lucky. She wouldn't let me anywhere near her. So I went upstairs and changed out of my work clothes so I could go hunt for carcasses, I could hear her in the side yard "bocking" her head off, as if she were calling for her friends and didn't know where they were. I had no idea what to do for her, since chickens have trouble knowing how to, well, be chickens, without other chickens around.

But by the time I came downstairs (20 minutes) the rest of the chickens had sifted out from hiding. Welcome to farm life. I bagged up Lucky for a proper burial. She'd obviously been mauled by a dog, the place where the most damage was between the neck and middle of the back. It just shook her and chased her and shook her and chased her until she stopped moving and it got bored and left. I wouldn't be as upset if it was something that at least ATE her, or part of her.

So the chickens are penned up today, they have a small chicken yard around the coop, Doug and I are considering expanding it, and getting a few more chickens. Then we'll only let them out when we're there. It's a shame though, because they like to roam.

*sigh*

But, there are 4 chickens which is better than one and better than none and Lucky had a proper burial.

Oh and we got a really cool package in the mail, too. E2 you absolutely rock. I've smudged every place I've ever lived and hadn't gotten around to the new place yet. I freaked out when I saw what was in the package -- I was like "how the hell did she know?" Thanks so much.

I'll have to return the favor. Can I mail fresh eggs?


We're getting settled now. The cats are getting a little more used to each other. We're waiting for the happy kitty glade plug in to arrive to help Collette. She still prefers to hide most of the time.

Aside from the house, no really deep thoughts. I understand now, how things change -- with so much to do every day -- the really deep thoughts just dribble away when we pass out at night. I think though that it gets better. It feels like as we get more settled, I can pick stuff up again. Poetry is calling to me. So are my books. We have our books and CD's unpacked (fully integrated, no "his" shelf or "her" shelf pretty wild, eh?) and the books are calling to me.

We will not have internet until the 23rd of August at which point someones in FL, the UK, and NH will get in depth response emails. Maybe sooner if I work it right. After that point, I think I'm going to start a food blog. I'm getting a real kick out of food blogging, it's so entertaining. If you get a chance you can check out my favorite food blog "Dispensing Happiness" (in the sidebar) and see what I mean.

We have some friends coming up this weekend. The original plan was to go out to dinner. Lately I'm more interested in being home. I mean, the property is huge, the house is big, and I love to cook -- why go out? No air conditioning is part of that, but we're pretty much getting used to it. I would like to cook.

So these folks have some serious food issues. One of them is a picky vegetarian and the other has some stomach issues and both of them are admant in their likes and dislikes of foods. Like tomatoes. I love tomatoes and the tend to end up in many of the things I cook that are worthy of entertaining. But it was a challenge to come up with a menu that should satisfy everyone.

Here's what I've got for my fancy picky dinner party. Outdoors of course. And there will be a campfire to bring in the evening.


Menu

Beverages:
iced white tea infused w/ lemon balm syrup and lavender
pear nectar w/ seltzer and mint

Soup:
chilled cucumber-dill-yogurt soup

Salad:
mixed spring greens & sorrel w/ toasted almonds
blood orange/pear vinaigrette

frosty shot of Sambucca

Main:
Roasted red potatoes w/ chevre and herbs de provence
Grilled Eggplant and Vidalia onion slices

Not-Fish:
Lemon braised artichokes w/ drawn butter

Cheese:
"Drunken goat" (aged in port wine), plain chevre, and brie
melba toast rounds

Dessert:
grilled peach halves w/ fresh thyme and honey glaze
stuffed with dried blueberries reconstitued with green tea
and a dollop of creme fraiche


Spiced Apple Wine and S'mores later in the evening



hopefully this all works out!

6 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

the menu sounds great!

Sorry about Lucky...

9:52 AM  
Blogger me said...

My freaking mouth is watering and I don'yt even know what any of that stuff is. 'Cept for the Zambucca! Woohoo!! Have a blast. Glad you're settling in! Congrats! ~ML

2:21 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Damn woman! If I lived much closer, I might have to crash that party! Sounds fabulous!

I'm glad to hear that you're settling in nicely and that the house is starting to feel like home for you.

Sorry to hear about the chickens. My dad, the yuppie farmer, says that dogs that who raid henhouses are called "biscuit eaters" and that there's only one way to stop the problem once it starts... it involves a high powered rifle.

I think that sounds a little drastic, but I was never a farmer.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear about Lucky, and hope that the rest of the chickens adapt to their foursome existence.

Have fun with your party! Can't wait to hear how everything turned out.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also sorry to hear about "Lucky". I remember we had some problems with the neighborhood dogs going after Chickens when I was a kid. We were usually around allowing for safe ranging. We had our own dog(s) which helped and there was definately a rifle too. Bleah.

That is certainly a mouthwatering menu! And I admire the careful planning. With those restrictions, sounds like a puzzle and adventure game in one.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one of the guests (vegetarian one), I gotta say the dinner was really good, and had it not been for impending work the next day, we'd have stayed longer for sure. We're both looking forward to returning the favor in the not too distant future, though the site of this future dinner will doubtless pale in comparison to the rustic charm o' the farm. Tough to find farms with random chickens hanging out in northern Virginia, but we do have a good deal of other wildlife to liven up the place! Thanks again!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm your favorite??? I'm blushing! Thank you so much!

And as a picky vegetarian let me tell you...that's a good meal!

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home