Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Foodie Thoughts

Stephanie over at Dispensing Happiness (well and Matt) have piqued my interest again. I have recently recovered from the craving for fried chicken brought upon by her quest for perfect fried chicken (I didn't cave and fix any, I'm getting married in a month, folks I don't want to gain any more weight!) but now, out of the blue, Matt posts a tutorial on barbeque. I suggest ya'll check it out, it was very comprehensive. Of course, NOW, I can't get it out of my head. I love bbq in whatever incarnation it takes.

One of my fondest memories with an ex of mine is when we got several racks of ribs and just went wild experimenting with rub & sauce combinations. Another is over Memorial Day I managed to make two batches of country style short ribs in our itsy bitsy grill.

Slate had an article on this fellow that drove cross country seeking barbeque that made me want to revamp our entire honeymoon plans! Check it out here and see if it doesn't make your mouth water. Oh since everyone has their own opinion of the best sauce -- if you're going to buy it already prepared, try Sweet Baby Ray's -- after years of searching, I found the one I love best. :)


okay time to wipe off the drool.


The weekend was good. Jon and Jen came down and brought lobster! I was so excited, I've never actually had lobster before in it's whole form. It was quite tasty AND Jon prepared it which was even cooler. I love to cook but it was nice to have a guest cook for us. I think we had a very good weekend altogether.

I've threw together a few meals, nothing awfully spectacular-- I did make a great dessert:

take 3/4 cup or so dried blueberries. cover and soak them in some red wine (I used merlot) with honey and nutmeg until they plump up a bit

while doing that, peel, have and de-stone 4 large firm peaches

where the stone was, take a spoon, grapefruit spoon, or mellon baller and make the indent larger.

place peaches dented side up in a casserole dish, fill with reconstituted blueberries and drizzle wine mixture over everything. (note: to keep them level, slice a bit off the bottom to make the bottoms flat)

add a thin pat of butter to each peach and cook for 20 minutes or so at 350 degrees. I suggest cooking covered and then cooking uncovered for a few minutes.


I served this with french vanilla ice cream, but I'm sure whipped cream, heavy cream, frozen yogurt, or creme fraiche would all work well.

It was tasty!


-----------------------

so the kitchen people are coming for the final estimate and measuring on monday. i'm really excited about getting it underway. we'll (i'll) have a baking center, lots of counter space, large gas range, convection oven, decent fridge and a pantry! that is heaven to me, I've got some cornish hens in the freezer to celebrate the occasion when it's all done.

We're becoming quite handy as of late. the tile in the laundry room looks like a pro did it. I did the grout and D has a great eye for laying out the tile. I was really impressed. Of course, I've been hobbling around with a broke butt (well glutes and hamstrings) from doing the grout, but eventually it will get better. I hope.

Went to the RenFaire last weekend with J and J-- we had to introduce them to the joys of food on a stick. All kinds of food on a stick, and big fat turkey (emu) legs. Yum! The best is the chocolate covered frozen cheesecake on a stick. Didn't know they had those in Tudor England, eh? Oh and mead. I love the stuff from the Linganore Winecellar in Mt. Airy, MD. It's so tasty. We have to go out there in a few weeks to purchase some for the wedding.

I've been trying to sample mead from different wineries and meaderies. So far nothing besides that has really struck me as something special. One that proclaimed itself to be the same recipe used for centuries in Ireland was absolutely disgusting, another had scotch added. The most recent was okay, infused with apricot, but had an odd oily aftertaste. I'm considering making our own, one day, especially if we put in an orchard and have bees.

So that's about it. I'm looking for suggestions on what to serve for the mini-reception. I love the autumn theme, we have perfect wedding favors -- maple sugar candy maple leaves. I know I want spiced cider, mead, and these delightful apple cider donuts made by Milburn Orchards. Other than that, I'm up in the air. Maybe pumpkin bars, some smoked meat, some cheese and some good bread. I was thinking about petit fours or something chocolate, but I'm not sure yet. I'm open to good, classy, harvest-y suggestions.

Oh, and Welsh cookies, I need to find them. I have a recipe, but it's an ancient one, I found it on a website devoted to cooking and baking in the pre-modern ways... like 1400, 1500, 1600 a.d. ways -- I can't think of the name for it, but it was really interesting. however it involves preparing the cookies using a cast iron griddle. I just don't have the time at the moment. I know a place that sells the, just don't know if they'll get here in time!

okay it's time for bed and stuff, then another day in at my overworked, understaffed office. *sigh*

13 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Emu? Really?

You know what L? You sound really content in your life right now. You know, not like jumping for joy, but that calm happiness? Yeah, you exude it - makes me smile (you're contagious)

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make Maids of Honour tarts instead of cookies..much nicer, and in keeping with the theme of your day :)

7:05 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes, E, emu, really. It's quite tasty and moister than turkey-- there are strands of cartilidge running the meat into segments but worth the effort. plus you get to get really messy.

yeah, life is at a good point even despite stress and work and all. part of the really big wedding plan was a hope to share it....

D is doing remarkable well with the whole thing, too.


Sair -- I like the name, the only problem is that the maids are quite tart-y enough on their own!!! :) (oh I'm going to get smacked for that!)

good idea on the renaming of things, though, I hadn't thought of that.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nooo..it's a recipe!!

Richmond Maids of Honour
This small tartlet originated in Henry VIII's palace of Hampton Court, where it was popular with the Queen's Maids of Honour. Later the secret recipe was made at a shop established at Richmond, Surrey.

8 oz puff pastry
8 oz ground almonds
4 oz caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 oz flour
4 tablespoons double cream
1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
sifted icing sugar

Set oven to 400*F or Mark 6. Grease and flour 20 patty tins.
Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line the tins, trimming the edges neatly.
In a bowl, mix together the ground almonds and sugar, then stir in the beaten eggs, flour, cream, nutmeg and lemon juice.
Divide the mixture between the pastry cases and bake for about 15 minutes or until firm and golden.
Turn out on to a wire rack and allow to cool.
Serve dredged with a little icing sugar.

(makes 20 or so)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sair--

oh my that's perfect!!!!!!!

can they be served on a stick *grin*


Is double cream the same as heavy whipping cream? or more solid, like clotted cream?

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use thick whipping cream, solid enough to stand a spoon in :)

They really are delicious, I think they'd be perfect, as a sweetmeat..but NO sticks! :P ;)

10:26 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

okie dokie, I will definately try it.

we'll save the sticks for something else, maybe.

It took me a second but I had to look up caster suger -- superfine sugar is what we call it here, and I have some (since it's great for mixing drinks)

did you have to convert the measurements?

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No :) don't forget to let me know what you think of them.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Wow have you guys been busy! I'm so happy to hear how content you seem in your "new" life.

Heidi and I tiled my entire livingroom/dining room while I was 5 months pregnant. I'm totally turned off of every laying tile again. I didn't mind the grouting at all, though. Of course, our job is far from professional, but it's fairly straight and good enough for me. :)

I have made meade in the past, and it's a fairly easy process, only it takes damn near forever, so it's probably too late to do so for your wedding. You can get some alcoholic content in a month's time, but really, it should ferment for a lot longer. I let mine go for six months. (Mostly because I was pregnant and couldn't enjoy it anyway) Unfortunately, I lost my entire stock when the hurricanes came through. :(

I can send you my recipe if you'd like to give it a try.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

ahh, well there have been whole books on barbeque that still don't cover everything -- but as far as overviews go... quite nice, detailed enough to get the picture, not overly detailed in such a way as to be overwhelming. Sometimes that's the best way to start building knowledge rather than diving in (and possibly floundering) --

I enjoyed it anyway. Tarpaper in BBQ sounds tasty, I think - maybe a little tough, perhaps a marinade first to tenderize ? :)

2:11 PM  
Blogger e said...

Laura, I think I would gain a few pounds just looking in your kitchen! Everything you cook sounds like something worth eating too much of!

Incidentally, this is probably not fancy enough, but pumpkin cheesecake is awesome with cinnamon sprinkled on top in patterns. Craft store stencils work great. I like to do little stars.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

mmmm pumpkin cheesecake.....


i had a contractor once who brought in pumpkin cheesecakes for just his favorite folks. i always got one... one major drawback to not working in that area anymore :)

I may save that stenciling idea for another time, though, I love it.

Now here's an idea... really for this?

frozen pumpkin cheescake covered in cinnamon laced dark chocolate ON A STICK!!!!!!!

'kay, my seats all wet now, gotta go. *grin*

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At times like this, when L is on one of her "all food on a stick" rants, I realize exactly how lucky I am. And Angie, the mead sounds great, even if only aged a month. Ok, we can move the wedding back a few weeks to accomodate the mead delivery!

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home