Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

October 8, 2005

We've moved the wedding date. Frankly, I'm already burnt out on the house stuff, and work. Knowing that I have another winter possibly as hellish as this summer has been at work of planning prior to the wedding was not good. The constant looming stress has been not good. The way the expenses just kept piling up were just not practical at this juncture. We need to focus on the house, we want to get married, and I'm not willing to sacrifice our relationship for the wedding.

Several of my friends (vicki was first) basically gave that advice. At first it didn't seem to apply, but now, well now is different. So rather than put things off to alleviate the stress, we've opted to bit the bullet.

Unfortunately it is a bit upsetting since many folks I hoped would make it probably won't be able to, plus the smaller guest list. So we figured we'll have a HUGE party in about a year and everyone better make it to that. Like the kind of party that really lasts a few days --

For now I have a dress (two actually), 1 confirmed bridesmaid, a minister, a rehearsal dinner, a site, a groom, 2 confirmed groomsmen, a possible flower girl, the rings, and a daily prayer for clear weather on that day since it will be outdoors.

Did I mention we made this decision late on Sunday night. Not bad, I think,

Should be good though -- ceremony at 11, "light refreshments" reception after for about 1-2 hours and a caravan of folks to go to the Renaissance Faire with us to finish out the day. Did I mention the elements of the dress? Cotton velveteen in dark green, boning, silver embroidery (knotwork), hoop skirt, chemise, black and silver brocade. It's being custom made -- I found the seamstress on eBay. If it's a lovely as the rest of the work looks, she'll be my new favorite person. The other dress is just as gorgeous only simpler, again dark green cotton velveteen but a creme satin chemise -- very nice, and her site catered well to larger woman which was refreshing.

That's about all for now. I need to sleep so bad my eyes are burning.

13 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

Laura,

It sounds like you made a great decision by moving the wedding up. Get it over-with. We did ours in about 4 months, and while it was hectic, it was over.

I don't think we'll be making it up there that quickly, but you'll certainly be in our thoughts (or some other equally bad cliche).

And in a year, when you have that big party, Jonas will be just about old enough to tromp through fields after lightning bugs or toads. :)

Smooch! Good decision.

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are some in a school who say plan ahead and they believe that means one should drag out the engagement and plan a wedding for over a year in advance and these people sometimes also think that somehow other peoples weddings are for them (rather than the couple). I think the important planning ahead came when you made the decision to do it, then froggy leap. I think it is a formal recognition of where you already are, you will share it with some now and all next year. (Maybe I should just wait to come to the big party =P ) What kind of dress are the bridesmaids wearing?

8:58 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I'm glad you guys moved it up, for a few reasons, stress and cash being the biggest of them... and the dresses sound very very L. No offense, I was in love with the embroidered dress you sent the pic of, but this sounds much more you-ish.

I too will not be making it (which, as I told D, with the size of my 'group' should cut the budget considerably again!) But fill me in on party dates, I'm sure I can make it then, with a newborn dangling from some should-be-hidden body part as I run, hippy-like through that back pasture!

I love you guys MUCH MUCH MUCH!
~E

12:29 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Sure, blame it on me. Of course, with the spelling you used, they wouldn't necessarily know it was me...

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this should make a much better time, since NOW we get to have everyone come over to help us put sididng on the house. Next year, in April, we won't need the help.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

har har V

I was trying to keep you incognito :) or perhaps I was sleep deprived -- in fact -- I believe I was... so nyah.

E, that sounds wonderful - the kids would go bonkers here-- in a good way.

Ang, you too-- the lightening bugs here are plentiful, he'll be busy for hours!

and R, I'm not totally sure yet... find something and let me know? *grin* I'll call ya.

11:44 AM  
Blogger e said...

You should have a band at the party next year and call it Barnstock and we can all get naked in the mud and camp out! Lol. Just kidding. You don't need the band. ;)

5:43 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

LoL E! I'll bring the drum-tribe with me, and we'll light big bonfires to dance around. Naked camping is always a good thing, and I've missed the last two years of it.

9:05 PM  
Blogger e said...

Woohoo! That sounds good to me! Count me in!!! :)

10:40 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm fairly new here, so first...congratulations!

And your dress sounds gorgeous; I love women who don't feel they need the white tuille and lace confections to make it a wedding.

It all sounds lovely, and I'm sure your proposed party/reception will be wonderful.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

it will be so much easier. big weddings are the #1 reason divorces happen.

well...make that weddings. weddings cause divorce.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I am actually getting excited. Are you yet? (I don't think I got to be too excited about my own wedding... there were moments though.)

4:43 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Stephanie- thanks, it's fun to break away-- I think there's a post around here called Tulle Hell -- I had my share of it in only ONE round of dress shopping and called it quites. Itchy natsy stuff. Now all silk, that's another story.... :)

E2 and Ang -- Barnstock, eh? Hrm. That's a great thought. As long as it's warm out!

Jenni - I think that's one of the sagest things I've seen. Hrm. D'ya know 100 percent of deaths happen to the living? *grin* the big wedding thing was just starting to suck.

Raven --'course I'm excited -- well, mostly, I'll get moreso in a bit. :) I'm glad you are, though since I need ya to be a bit contagious there.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home