Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Friday, October 28, 2005

and now for a message from our sponsor

I'm still working on wedding posts, I'm a bit hesitant to write about all the events from the day since many of them are still raw to me and the pictures are more-or-less from sources other than our photographer. It'll happen yet, though.

What gets me is that sometimes I don't feel married yet. Walking past the magazine racks, I still gravitate toward the bridal stuff. I think, because the wedding was executed as a vague distillation of what was actually planned, some part of my brain is still churning out ideas. If anything, maybe it's more of a "post-partum" style depression -- On one side you have the relief that it's all over and on the other side you can't believe it's all over and that THING that you've been sweating over, angsting over, working on, thinking on -- is done. Done done done. So, it's bittersweet -- I'm so glad its done and so happy with Doug -- but I would have liked for more of the things that were planned to happen -- so I guess it feels, and bear with me on this, like a breakup of sorts. The kind that you feel is neccessary, but still need closure on. I need to breakup with my ideas on what the wedding was supposed to be like and accept on the good stuff that it was, and the not as good, and the unexpected good (which there was much of). The cool thing is that, in a way, we can extend the celebrations some. We didn't make it to the RenFaire due to the rain, so maybe next year we can arrange a big group trip down -- and it'll be fun without the pressure. Honestly, as tired as D and I were that evening, it's probably better we didn't all go! I think it was Doug's boss that said that the great thing about the extreme weather situation was that it completely leveled the playing field. He's right. No one knew what to expect-- and so the fact that there was lots of love, good food, something different, and a still-beautiful setting made it quite good, and quite memorable.

Okay, good, I needed to work that out, and somehow, it just wasn't happening in my head. I'll get those posts of pics up soon.

On the other hand, life right now is completely different.

Jen asked me what it was like to be married after living together -- I told her that it was very much the same, and yet completely different. I suppose you have to go through that, to understand. Fortunately, I'd gotten much the same advice from other friends, and passed it along to Doug. So I think we're pretty much prepared.

However, I was not prepared to be staying at home. It's taken me some time to get used to the whole deal. I'm trying to get on a schedule of sorts and make sure the days are stuctured. There's so much to do, I think I relaxed more when I was in the office!

We currently don't have heat. We have a furnace, but no oil. We don't want to buy oil since we're having a heat pump installed and don't think anyone would bring out 1/4 tank expecially to a customer that doesnt have an existing account. BUT we did get the wood stove hooked up on Tuesday and that does a really good job of keeping the autumn chill out. In fact, splitting wood really does keep me warm! *grin*

While on honeymoon,something got our beautiful red chickens. I'm pretty upset about that still, since they knew us and were so much fun. We did have three hens and a rooster brought down by Raven's mom from New Hampshire. The rooster has REALLY BIG SPURS. That makes me feel much better about the safety of the hens. The new chickens are mostly Wyandot -- two silver lace hens, a rooster (with a mix of somethign else by looking at him and his feathery feet) and a blue hen that looks like a Kochin (sp? - she has very fancy feet and petticoats) mix. So far they're starting to get used to me, but no eggs yet.

The rooster is lovely. E2 sent me a picture of a rooster once and he was all rainbow colored. I wanted one -- and now have one for free. This morning for the first time, he crowed. At 10 a.m. Now that's my kind of rooster! The little blue hen is so funny. She's a Collette chicken. Like our cat she seems very sweet and timid. When I come into the coop/pen she does all she can to hide behind the rooster, she doesn't "bawk" she cheeps, and shes kinda "pouffy" so she does not appear small, though she thinks she is -- much like Collette, one of our cats. One of the silver-lace hens is either molting horribly, or getting pecked at. I'm not sure which. I've observed the chickens for longish periods of time and don't see any pecking going on, so I'll watch a bit more. She may just be reacting to the stress of relocating. These are not young chickens so I imagine it's harder for them to adapt.

Aside from the cats and chickens, it's pretty quiet here. I've been trying to get things done -- trying is the operative word here -- and getting better at being motivated. I'm a pretty social creature, so when I hermit up, it's not neccessarily good for me. Also, with the days getting so short, I've noticed that I am beginning my seasonal depression battle. The good thing is that I'm not stuck in an office -- so I can go outside and be active and fight the good fight. The bad thing is that I don't HAVE to get up and go to the office, which makes it harder to get up and go :)

Today, what worked was getting dressed and getting my contacts in before I had even finished "waking up" -- I'll have to remember that trick. Now, off to run errands, split wood, clean house, do yardwork, husk walnuts, and maybe bake something.

10 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I know what you're going through...I've been staying home and taking care of...well, the house, matt,alex...something, for over five years. Giving up structure for free-form can be a rough transition. Best advice: stay connected. See friends, call or email. If you get too isolated, you'll go insane, like me...

10:55 AM  
Blogger e said...

L, I was just thinking that the elements you wish had been incorporated into your wedding (whatever they may be) can probably be successfully applied to other occasions... Such as a Renewal of Vows or Wedding Part II or Celebration of Love. Of course, you realize that by my making this suggestion, I am just trying to get myself invited to a sweet party...

7:08 PM  
Blogger Biochemist said...

Bro2Sis, ANother trick for waking when you don't "have" to is waking with a person that does. When does D leave? Because when he leaves, so should you. Go outside when he does. WALK!

When writing grants or papers, this is a major battle for me... one that I usually lose. Best of luck General Beth.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shower & dressed/contacts trick will continue to work. I'm still able to trick myself that way but then again I have walking, screaming alarm clocks. Getting up with Doug might work in combo with the other so long as you are not tempted to go back to bed once he leaves.

That sucks about the chickens.

Realizing that the wedding is over does take time especially since like you said not much changed between the 2 of you except the whole not working thing which is a huge adjustment in itself.

Hang in there chicky!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Laura: I found the ravioli recipe, sorry to take up so much room but I couldn't find an email address for you!

BEET RAVIOLI WITH POPPY SEED BUTTER

Few stuffed pastas are as pretty as these traditional ravioli from Veneto. The rich, sweet filling of roasted beets is complemented by the unique flavor of tiny black poppy seeds. If you don't have time to make fresh pasta, use purchased wonton wrappers.

click photo to enlarge



2 large red or golden beets (about 14 ounces)
1/2 cup fresh whole-milk ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs

1 1/4 pounds Fresh Egg Pasta

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese


Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap beets individually in foil; place on baking sheet. Roast until tender when pierced with knife, about 1 hour. Open foil carefully (steam will escape). Cool. Peel beets; finely grate into medium bowl. Add ricotta cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in breadcrumbs.

Roll Fresh Egg Pasta dough into sheets according to recipe. Place 1 dough sheet on work surface. Using 3-inch round biscuit cutter, cut sheet into 7 rounds. Transfer rounds to lightly floured baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough for total of 56 rounds.

Sprinkle 2 smooth kitchen towels with flour. Place 8 pasta rounds on work surface, keeping remaining dough covered with plastic. Place small bowl of water next to work surface. Spoon 1 teaspoon beet filling onto half of each round. Dip fingertip into water and dampen edge of 1 round. Fold dough over filling, pushing out as much air as possible and pressing edges firmly to seal. Transfer to prepared towels. Repeat with remaining rounds. (Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet and place in freezer until frozen solid, about 6 hours. Transfer ravioli to resealable plastic bags.)

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat and stir in poppy seeds; keep warm. Working in batches, cook ravioli in large pot of boiling salted water until cooked through, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to skillet with melted butter; toss to coat. Divide ravioli among 8 plates; sprinkle with Parmesan.

Market Tip
The flavor, color, and texture of roasted fresh beets is incomparable, so don't even consider using the canned variety. When choosing beets, select bunches with bright, glossy leaves attached.

Makes 8 first-course servings.
Bon Appétit
May 2005

11:31 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

ohhhhh thank you!

I will get an email addy to ya.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it time the new Mrs Seavey mailed the other Oxford? :D I'm looking forward to hearing all about it, petal.

7:00 AM  
Blogger e said...

Isn't it about time Mrs. Seavey posted some picrues? My goodness! I'm starting to think they didn't get married but actually had a Harley Mama Tattoo Party or something. C'mon Laura, fess up!

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin: she's probably venting it all at NaNoWriMo ;)

*hides*

12:25 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm dork.

Hi folks -- stymied by the world and a world of excuses.

I'm getting better at getting up and going and have beat just about every free game I care to play that MSN offers.

*sigh*

How bad is that. Unfortunately, no novels *grin* but a posting to follow on nuptials and all that good stuff.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home