Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

looking up

Things are improving. I was up until almost 2 a.m. cooking, and getting ready to start back up again. Yay. We had our first snow last night (highly unusual, this early for this area) - it made me all giggly - I also thought I'd share a happy thought of mine or a few of them -- the ones that have pictures, anyway. Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!



I know, you all are dreaming about turkey, but me? This is my food happy place. Endless sushi..... *sigh* They don't have these around here. In the five days we were in Hawaii I badgered Lexi to take us twice.


mmm. eel.

...and Spam sushi. Only in Hawaii. They had hotdog sushi for the kids, but this was waaaay funnier. (I know "sushi" is a very general term)


Our Coffemate inspired wall color choices. We're going for the middle one, and using the bottom for an accent color. See, I found this coffee creamer called "pumkin spice".....


Some folks worry about letting the cat out of the bag. We've left this thing lying on our living room floor for a few weeks because Gigi enjoys it so much.


My brother's kitten, Punkin, in a stock pot. He was enjoying himself, I think.

Snow!


Barnhenge in the snow. What's really cool is the disco effect that happens when you take a picture of the snow. It's all melted now, but fun while it lasted.







10 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

Sigh...

The snow is beautiful, L. What a great way to start off the holidays.

I've got pictures of Hulk in a chinese carry-out bag, much like Gigi's. Too funny. And the cat in the stockpot is hilarious.

I dream of walls inspired by something other than stark white. One of these days... I WILL have color.

And yes, endless sushi, what could be more perfect? I swear, I think I could eat it three meals a day and never get sick of it.

Anyway, hope you're having a great Thanksgiving. Get out of the kitchen for a little bit and enjoy the company as well. I think most cooks spend their entire day in the kitchen. Yes, being a chef is sometimes a lonely art.

Much love to you.

11:29 AM  
Blogger e said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Barnhenge looks so awesome under the falling snow! We got our first flakes today, too. Anyway, just wanted to wish you a very happy turkey day!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Laura...I may have given up turkey, but I'm still nuts about sushi!

I'm with you...if only I could find a decent sushi place around here...

Tell you what: you come for a visit, and Matt and I will make it for dinner!

Love the snow.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Oooh snow! It was like 75 here or something like that - very warm and unthanksgivingy, weird, but great for Scott as he hung out all of our Christmas lights and put out the yard decorations. So, now we're ready for the snow, so the lights can reflect off of it, but we won't get any. It never snows here, and when we get our flurries, it isn't till AT LEAST January.

Anyway, love the colors! I'm not that brave. The wildest I've ever gone is the yellow and blue in my dinning room. A very pale yellow, and a small amount of indigo blue - not very brave at all lol.

Love you guys, hope Turkey day was as wonderful as ya's deserve!

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully L will put up something about her compote (sp), this cranberry...mix of some type that she made, and the turkey, which was probably one of the best I have ever had (and since the main meal my mom does well is Thanksgiving, that is saying something.) Basically, L just took over her mom's kitchen and turned out this incredible meal. Even the Brussel sprouts were good.

Maybe some sushi would have been a good touch, though..

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the colors!!!!! Barnhenge looks pretty in the snow. Our snow is all melted now too but have no fear there's mre forcasted for later this week.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

Not a sushi fan, but that restaurant sure looks fun!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Ang -- the other problem with being in the kitchen is that by the time dinner is ready, I'm nearly full *grin* -- gotta sample right?

E- do ya'll get snow down there? I saw the pictures of the lights, they were really pretty..

E2, the good thing about snow is that it makes everything look clean, unfortunately with Barnhendge, that's about all you're getting. At least the dark obscured the huge brush pile in the middle. I'm waiting for a good day to burn it, maybe we'll have a massive weenie roast.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

..... oh and I'll post pics of the finished product on the room when the trim's done. It's turning out great!

Courtney - the snow melted pretty quickly, maybe you should send me down some so I can make snow cream...

Stephanie -- I have dreams about that place, do they have them on the mainland? (it was so hard getting used to thinking about the rest of the U.S. being "the mainland" -- and you better watch out you might end up with a sushi-craving redhead on your doorstep. *grin* -- by the way, in the picture, you can see a clock up in the corner... each time of day is a different kind of sushi -- a perfect gift for Matt!

Sweetnicks - thanks for stopping by! The restraunt was fun, if a bit, well, trough-like, but in a good way! They also had miso soup, edemame, kim chi, and a few other things going 'round the belt, as well as some tempura veggies, something like a chicken croquette, and variations on non-sushi type items. I think that made it appealing to anyone.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Laura; Isobune has three locations...Oakland, Burlingame and SF.

And it turns out a new place here in Knoxville, Ginza, has a conveyor belt for sushi, too!

We were going to head over last weekend, but Matt and Alex were sick. We hope to get there soon.

You will always be welcome! I think we're making sushi tomorrow or Thursday; how fast can you get here?

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home