Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

not warm, not warm atall...and some pics

Today is the first day I've really felt that bite of winter in the air. It was a little unnerving. Fortunately I had my winter coat ready when I went out to feed the chickens. But now that some of the brush is dying back, I was able to wander around our property a bit... it's huge! In the summer so much of it was not accessible I don't think I got a great idea of exactly how much there is. Plus, it's very hilly out here, so some things my seem close, but really that's because you're looking from one hill to another.... the actual travel time is a different story altogether.
Currently I'm eyeballing the brush and wondering how to clear a good part (not all ) of it out. I know there is a way, or a tool that'll work, or something that doesn't involve me and a machete and a pair of loppers clearing 10 feet a day. I'm sure of it. If only I knew someone who's husband was in landscaping that might be able to tell me what that is....
The new windows look great, and the draft has reduced a bunch. Some of them feel like they're leaking air, but it probably has more to do with the trim/siding work that needs to be done yet. The kitchen guys stopped over today with a plumber and it looks like it will be do-able. The plumbing was going to be tricky so it's good to hear a solid "I can do that" from the plumber.
Last week was absolutely crazy, the guys to install the new heat pump system were here, and a whole crew of guys doing the windows. We've also had a door moved and a window put in down in what is going to be the kitchen. It's pretty cool, and the placement of the door, although I was not thrilled with the idea at first, really does make the whole room feel a lot more "useable"... this kitchen is going to be huge! I'm so excited for it. I especially like that Doug and I are going to be able to do some of the work ourselves which 1. cuts some expense and 2. makes it more "ours".
Hopefully we aren't going to go so broke in the process that we won't be able to use it, though I'm sure I'll be able to boil water for Ramen with ease. *grin* The sad thing is, I love Ramen noodles. Even though I've lived off of them for stretches of time in my life, I still find them tasty... how scary is that? I do not, however, care for pancakes in most cases. We must've had one too many dinners of them when I was a kid.
Okay, enough rambling, here are some pictures.
This is the Collette-chicken. I managed to get this shot when she wasn't hiding. It's not great, but you can see how she's all poufy, right down to her feet.

Here is our very pretty rooster. Doug called him The Major in reference to the fact that he takes the girls out for walks..... so of course, I figured that a better name would be "The Colonel" -- because it was too damn morbid not to!


At first, Morgan wasn't sure what to do with the big stuffed spider on Halloween. Then he figured that eating it was the best course of action. I'm sure he traumatized every spider in the house with that one. I'm sure they'd rather brave the cold!

Nappus Interuptus. The kitties work hard to protect us and what do I do? I drop in and destroy a perfectly good nap with that flashy thing.

Garlic soup. Yum. Made similar to French onion, but less cheese. Instead I've toasted half a croissant with some Gruyere and ladled the soup over it. Again, yum.


I think the dining room stayed this clean for all of 1 week until we had to dump a bunch of stuff on the table which is mostly still there. *sigh*


Some people have a green thumb. Mine turned brown. Actually my gloves split open at the thumbnail when I as husking some black walnuts. Hopefully the dye I'm making from them will stain some wood as well as it did me!


Propagating irises. I'm sure there's a law against it in some conservative states....

Doug digging the mum bed. It's got all the flowers from our wedding in it.

A wall made of stones from the barn complete the look and transform a hard to mow or trim hill into something pretty.


Doug's best used car salesman face. How could I resist?

12 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I love Ramen, too!

Actually, I just like the noodles. I ate them uncooked...like a snack. I know, everyone thinks I'm weird. Tis ok.

The chick is so cute, and I agree; Colonel would be a very bad name.

You're doing your own dye? My god; you are a handy gal!

Oh, and our dining table is almost always in use as a dumping ground. I hate it, but I also get tired of being the only one who'll clean it off...

7:20 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

lmao L, it depends on what effect you're looking for. If you want to completely clear an area, a bush hog is about the best way to go. If you're talking about partially clearing an area, you could use ... well, how thick/woody is this brush? A weed whacker (gas powered) if it's just weeds, but for smallish trees, you could use a brush cutter, which is like a weed whacker with a blade rather than nylon string.

Loppers are probably going to be a necessary evil though, depending on the size and woodiness of whatever you want to hack back.
Scotty says anything over an inch will require loppers, or even a chainsaw if it's real big.

Now let me go read the rest of the post... I got so tickled at that, I had to stop and answer on the spot.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I am so ridiculously jealous of this property L. I really think the MTC commune just BELONGS there, don't you!? ;)

You have, however, left me feeling mildly traumatized that I actually agree that the chicken and rooster are beautiful animals. I've never looked at them as 'pretty' before, but those 2 are. Weird.

And for the record, you have the LONGEST word verification thingies! It's eight flipping characters long this time!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Laura, you guys live in an absolute paradise! It's beautiful, every bit of it. I'm so insanely jealous, and at the same time I'm so happy for you. I can't think of two more deserving people.

The chickens are lovely, and like E said, I've never really considered chickens to be a beautiful species before.

Since you love Ramen so much, I've decided to pack my little munchkin off to you for a week or two. He should arrive via fedex in the next day or so. You'll know it him by the condition of the box (if there's any of it left).

And he congratulates Morgan on his excellent catch. He suggests when dining on spiders, eat them head first, that way they can't crawl back up. :)

6:09 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

stephanie --thanks I feel better about the dining room table catch-all. the dye is remarkable simple (of course my hands have to exfoliate the stain off but it's coming along) and can be used as a wood or textile stain. I may have much more than I reckon for so you may get a care package. *grin*

E -- I was afraid you'd say that. We got a weed cutter thingie with three different blades for all types of clearing... and lopers. In fact we broke three POS weed eaters in the process and finally got a good one, and I broke the loppers and had to replace them a few weeks ago. However, the excuse to buy a chain saw is nice. Chickens can be very pretty when they're taken care of well -- on the commune -- that's such a tempting fantasy... but at least it would be a good site for a big party, too.

Ang -- is he going to eat his way out of the box? Cool. You can go ahead and ship him up here, I warn ya, he'll be handy with a machete and a paint brush when I'm done with him. Hah!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Good Lord, don't let my son near anything valuable with a paint brush! And you'd actually trust him with a machete?! Heck, he doesn't need one. One day with your yard and he'd have it cleared.
What is it about babies that make them so damn destructive when they don't even mean to be?

8:01 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

lmao D!

Beware those loppers!

12:36 PM  
Blogger e said...

Ha! I was sooo going to make a cock comment and I thought: No, control yourself, Erin! Glad someone stooped to my level. ;)

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

E, um...thanks for that nice happy reason for me to never sleep again. And E2, there was just a need...I felt that if I missed it I would be letting my fan base down.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG the Mums look sooo pretty. I'm sure if I planted Mums the frigid glacier would kill them. I HATE WINTER!!!! We had a wonderful HIGH of 32 today.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

*ignores comments about her husband's cock*


court -- there has to be something to plant up there -- i just don't know about it coming back the next year *grin* there is a plant called "ice plant" I wonder if it's a hardy perennial in your zone?

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice plant is a nasty invasive plant that was imported into this country because "OH, it is pretty!" and then took over large tracts of California. It does have pretty flowers, though... but I doubt it will grow on the tundra, sorry Courtney.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home