Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

squishy

my stupid knee is squishy. knees are NOT supposed to be squishy.

about a month and a half ago I fell down spectacularly tripping over a rope fence while carrying a printer and landing without breaking my fall in any way primarily on one knee. this was the second time the fence jumped out and bit me. this time though, i got scraped up, i stopped limping after a good night's rest. last time i limped a lot. anyway... so it hurt whenever i brushed it or rubbed it or something but I figured I'd bruised the bone and they just tell you to give it time when that happens. i just figured i'd have to ahem, stay off my knees for a bit.

i canceled going to they gym today because now it's squishy. it starting aching a bit in the last week and last night I rubbed it and noticed that right on top of the patella there's a squishy hot lump. nice. so i go to the doctor's on friday. whee. I'm worried that there might be something pretty wrong, i was worried right after the fall, because of the physics of it you take my weight (for the record, over 250, yes really and that's as honest as I'm getting here) half my height in drop (3 feet) and compress it into an area of 4 square inches and that's a lot of impact on one area, I don't think it's meant to sustain that kind of impact.

other than that we're under contract for the new place as of sunday. the inspection will be on April 30th. hopefully it all goes well. i'm concerned about the taxes, apparently it's been under-assessed (like, severely) for the past 10 years and the taxes in that county are out of this world. it may be worth it though.

E - i AM working on the round robin poem, really, maybe I can write about squishy knees. it's been absolutely beautiful out the past fews days. doug just got home so it may be time to make dinner. been pondering the deep and mysterious and damned scary the past few days, it puts me in a weird frame of mind. maybe when it's past I can write on it.... just not right now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Knee injuries are really hard to get over. My knees are FUCKED from dancing. I have fluid inside both my knees. If I stay on them too long (like scrubbing a floor) they hurt really, really bad.

Listen to what he tells you on friday. You don't want knee problems, trust me.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Ick. Knees suck. I've got a bad knee from a freak horror house injury in high school. (You don't really want the details, or maybe you do...) It only bothers me occasionally now, but for many years if I even brushed it against something I'd nearly collapse.

I'm so excited for you about getting the new place. Wow! That's so cool. Wil and I have been fighting over the whole new house thing. I don't know if we'll ever come to an agreement, which means we'll probably just live here until this place crumble down around us.

Anyway, I've gotta go pack. Jonas and I are going to Disney for the weekend. Yay!

Hugs,
Angie

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ick, do all poets have at least one bad knee? I have a luxating patella on the right side that came from not getting post-fall pain checked out and dealt with. So you go, darn it! One thing my knee PT taught me to (yes, I went for that too, but way too late - the damage was done) to make it feel better was to do ice massage. Get some of those little 6 oz. styrofoam cups, fill them with water and freeze. Then peel them down an inch or two and use it to massage the knee. Brings down inflammation and feels good too. So there's your unsolicited, unexpert medical advice for the day! :P

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I meant left side. Lol. SO friggin tired I don't even know which knee is the bad one right now!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

hey Erin,

I know a reputable vet who specializes in ACL's and luxating patellas. He could probably fix it for you. :) Just kidding, but I do find it funny how we'll spend thousands to repair our dog's knees, and then just live with it ourselves.

The ice massage sounds neat. I might be trying that after walking the theme parks this weekend. I have a feeling that by the end of the day I'm going to be wishing it was me in the stroller instead of the baby. :)

10:05 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Apparently I am not really a poet, both my knees are fine. Guess time spent on my knees was equal between right and left ;)

Good luck with the Dr, whenever he can see you, my brother has a lot of knee problems, has since he was a kid - not fun, hopefully it's nothing.

The house, I'm so happy for you 2 with the house. It doesn't seem right that you'd be held responsible for past under assessment.

No worries on the round robin - I just never heard anything back from anyone, and my mail goes funky sometimes, so I was afraid it never went through

*hug*
~Erin

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home