Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Merry Jingley Everybody!

Things here have been so insane I don't know where to start... but I suppose, where I left off is the best place.
So I was supposed to start work at Amazon on Sunday, the 11th. On the 9th around 10:30 my mother called. She'd fallen on the ice. Doug and I spent the evening in the ER, well, me in the ER and Doug running back and forth. I didn't sleep that night and spent the weekend at Mom's. Needless to say, I didn't start the job. Mom lives by herself so she needs people to stop by to help with basic stuff. Not to mention Christmas on it's way...
But between David and Christina, Doug and I, and Mom's friend Betty Lynn (the same one that busted rear to decorate for the wedding) the house was just finished up and decorated and pretty when DJ and his girlfriend and girlfriend's sister showed up from their 15 hour drive from Wisconsin.
When you think of someone with a broken leg, the image is of the individual inconvenienced, but not out of commission. That, I think is the hardest thing to get across to two of my brothers, and various others. The crutches just weren't working for mom. She's in a wheel chair when she does get around. She couldn't use a regular cast due to cirulatory problems and her leg swells when it's down for too long. She's basically confined to the couch when we can keep her there, and is pretty uncomfortable.
So it's been rough, and I've been sick and depressed to boot. More than usual, but getting better now. I had my teeth cleaned at the dentist yesterday. I'll be honest, it's been over a decade since they've been done. I can't believe the difference. I will never not floss again.
The kitchen work is starting up now-ish. The plumber is downstairs handling that stuff, the electrician and framers will be in next week, then Doug and I start tile and drywall. We're still waiting on siding. If we dont' get siding soon, I think he's going to freak, our electric/heating bill was outlandish last month.
More later, just wanted to blow the cobwebs out o' here. I'll share one more story...
Many of our Christmas cards this year were sent out with a return addy of "Barnhenge" and our address -- because Barnhenge is the name of the property. Well aparently, this confused some folks. Just today we got a Christmas card in the mail for "Mr. and Mrs. Doug Barnhenge" from one of my cousins.. (well, his wife).... in total seriousness. She was even at the wedding!
*sigh* I don't have the heart to tell her but I'm still giggling. We even signed the card we sent with our last name. I suppose we'll have to get all pretentious and do the returns as "The S_____'s at Barnhenge" like some snooty golf course or something..... :)

9 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

Your card was wonderful. No confusion on my part.

I hope things slow down a bit for you.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Too funny about the barnhenge thing!

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. That has to absolutely suck to be incapacitated like that. She's lucky to have y'all to help out. I hope that she heals quickly. My grandmother came to visit us one year and broke her leg. She was out of commission for quite a while with it. Hope that's not the case with her. But if she's half as strong, and stubborn as you, I know she'll be just fine.

Anyway, just wanted to wish you both a merry christmas and all that stuff. I love ya.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! That explains why you haven't been online lately. Good luck with the rest of the holiday season!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Laura,

I'm sorry to hear about everything, but you know as well as I do that it will slow down soon. 'tis the season, yes? 'Tis the Season for stress.

I'm sorry that my Laura and Doug won't be able to visit due to my time constraints, but there is always next year! You will once again be reunited with your dopplegangers! Merry Christmas, and love.

- Mike

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/default.php

Try that, it should amuse. BTW, has the mailman been Japanese yet? :D

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has, Sair, and thank you! It is a wonderful wedding present, and hopefully soon I can get Laura to use it. I just have to wait for it to warm up a bit so I can start catching fish. Well,ok, I have not caught a fish in about a decade, and even that was nothing to eat, but I can pretend. or something. ~ Doug of the Barnhenges

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sir Doug..I was worried it would get lost in the mail. Just keep Lady Laura away from goldfish until Spring :)
Happy holidays and blessings for 2006 x

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh..just HAD to add this!

4:35 AM  
Blogger e said...

OMG, that is so funny Sair! I sent it to a bunch of people.

D & L - just wanted to officially say HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Much love, luck and happiness to you in 2006.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home