Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

crossing the border

Had some girl time today with my friend Erica. Verra nice wandering around pondering Starbucks.... honestly don't go in there enough to know what I want. I just don't get the jargon. I told the dude at the counter that I just want coffee. I got the "Verona" blend, it wasn't bad. The whole cliquishness of Starbucks bothers me some, the talle is small the grande is medium and the venti might be plenty but I prefer my coffee diner-style ("ya want some more creamers for that, hon?"). That and it makes me feel very pointedly NOT trendy to be there. Not that I'm a slave to fashion but I do notice things, damnit.

We talked about weight loss and making babies and stuff. She noticed the box of Nicorette gum on the coffee table -- I'm gonna try it, I've only ever done cold turkey or lukewarm turkey before (which is how you get salmonella -- well no, but it's staying in a constant state of 'cutting back') but anyway, I think it's worth a shot.

I told her what I weigh (she's the only person at this time that has an exact number) and she looked very suprised. She said I must be pretty dense..... ya know, she might just be right. ;) But seriously I wonder if I have leaded marrows or something... of course then the brain starts whirring on 80lb tumors and so forth and then I get all worked up. After I find out whats wrong with el squisho (my knee) then I need to get back to the gym, back to doing something physical.

I've been having dreams of running. Not running to or from anywhere just running for the pure enjoyment of it. I've never been a big fan of running, so that's rather odd.

Went to Border's tonight and of course left with a book or two which is good. I perused the poetry section, slavered on some and decided not to buy. I have several emails stashes away of recommendations from people, Jenni, in particular on good poetry reads, only I just never have them when I go to the bookstore and I end up with my eyes glazed over and babbling. Maybe not so bad as that but I do end up grazing a lot, trying to remember what's good, not wanting to blow 15 bucks on something that's crap and then feeling guilty for spending more time reading than buying. But Jenni had a great journal entry on her creative process (at least I HOPE that's what it is about) with a great fish metaphor -- read it here. However, I did find some pretty good fiction, at least I'm hoping it's good. I will report back on that. I'm a sucker for historical based fiction about women -- it's a thing. There was a book by Jean Plaidy about Anne Bolyne (something about a woman in the tower, I'm too lazy to look it up) of course she is my favorite of the Wives... and another about Elizabeth called "I, Elizabeth" which I wanted. I settled on a book about Mary Magdalene, a book about a fat chick, and a book about Russian models or something which looked trashy enough to be on the best seller list and was -- Erica picked it out so I didn't pay much mind, we split a buy 2 get 3 deal which I have just realized that I have been overcharged for and will have to call the store about tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

do you ever shop on amazon? you can buy used books from bookstores all over. it's much cheaper (sometimes).

7:19 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

i LOVE amazon it's so addictive and the used books are wonderful. the only problem is unless you're buying several books you end up paying the postage and not saving as much -- still not bad atall, 'specially if I'm not sure how much I want it in the first place -- I get on 'net shopping sprees and have to break away from it sometimes. Like eBay -- which is also dangerous.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home