Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

$70,000 + (not even Canadian)

this is what the windows & siding guy said it would cost to do the house, more if they run into any problems.

i almost fell down.

BUT doug's talked to some others who say that it really seems like too much, and even has a second opinion set up for tomorrow.


........so funny, i never once thought there was any instance where i would hope someone was trying to rip us off. i'm hoping the dude saw new homeowners + old house + construction loan + under pressure and figured he could really make a helluva profit OR he not interested in taking the job, jacked up the price, and figured if we bit then they could push their other work around for the higher profit margin, but if we didn't then, oh well.

I hope tomorrow's estimate goes better. Still waiting on the kitchen.

....more good news -- when Cheshire:

that's him ---->

goes back to his original people (once they're settled in their new house)


Collette, below, gets a new playmate, a Russian Blue kitty named Gigi who is about the same age

(I didn't name her, how appropriate is that? )




Yay, another kitty and a bunny.

*just keeping up with the happy thoughts*

9 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Here I am trying to get rid of my over abundance of pets, and you're adding to your collection!

Wouldn't you rather have a dalmation puppy with blue eyes? I have one up fpr adoption... WAY more fun than a bunny...

12:47 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

the kitties are cute!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Ugh! $70,000?! That's more than I paid for my entire house! I hope that's a high estimate, for your sake. It sounds incredibly ridiculous!

The kitties are so cute! They almost look like true siblings. And I'm with Erin, if you want more critters, I'd be happy to hand deliver a couple of really cute cats.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love kitties. I'm working on Doug with the puppy, but he's pretty admant about no dogs -- because it wouldn't be fair to the dog while we're so transitional -- and the bunny rabbit is kind of a test. Of course my last dog was a dalmation and I had to put him down last year -- after having him be totally enamoured with me for half my life... so that's a bit tough.

*sigh*

***I think this will all work out in the long run. we got a much better estimate today & will hopefully get a better one after that. :)

6:27 PM  
Blogger deputydog said...

parents had estimate just to replace windows $20,000, so it might be that much, get another estimate and bounce them off each other to see if the will go lower.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

f-

I thought of that awhile ago and it did slip my mind since -- thanks for the reminder.

funny that brings to mind the fact that americans are just no good at haggling, as a rule, there should be lessons. :)

6:52 PM  
Blogger e said...

funny that brings to mind the fact that americans are just no good at haggling, as a rule, there should be lessons. :)

Agreed!!!

(This agreement courtesy of the girl who paid asking price for the only 2 vehicles she ever bought by herself.)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

70 grand?????????

maybe you could trade the cat...

KIDDING!!!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I don't think that's the kind pussy he'd take in trade, there Jenni. *grin*

...things are getting better.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home