Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Weekend Fun

..has been canceled due to illness. I'm up to about 75 percent. Still forget to eat and to feed the Doug. I promised him a meal at some point.

This morning I got up before 8 a.m., Doug went to the store for supplies, came back and I proceed to make about 20 lbs of potato salad. I was supposed to go to James and Amy' s going away party (they are moving to Buffalo -- Buffalo!!) but had to bail. I had however, committed to potato salad so I couldn't leave them without it. As of this morning I was on antibiotics for 24 hrs so I know the food wouldn't be contaminated. I made two big containers of American potato salad and one of German (mainly for Amy -- I hope she liked it) I still had enough left over to make a big mixing bowl full for Doug, myself and whomever drops by.

German potato salad is a matter of contention in certain circles -- there are several devout schools of thought. They all involve vinegar and bacon -- so it can't be bad anyway.

Two big debates are: to mayonaise or not to mayonaise and hot or cold.

I make mine with mayo and cold. It doesn't need much mayo but I love the flavour after it's been in the fridge for a few days.

Laura's German-Style Potato Salad

  • Ha! did you really think I'd let you in on this? It's SOOO top secret.

When it's made warm, it's pretty good though, you peel, dice, and boil potatoes. Fry up some bacon, reserve the grease. Season with garlic or whatever. Maybe some onion...maybe. Drain the potatoes when done. Douse with vineagar, mix in the bacon and some of the reserved grease drizzled in -- salt and pepper. Servce warm. Pretty yummy in a heart clogging kind of way.

Of course in this house, part of the recipe involved keeping an eye on Doug or he'll snag the bacon before I'm done with it! (Of course I'm just as bad at my mother's house so I guess it's my due)

*

Now to go pack some stuff and pray that the move and all that goes with it goes on time. Otherwise my early preparation tactics will be for naught.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

Yummy L! I love me some tater salad, German, Southern, Red, or otherwise. I happen to be of the mayo mindset myself. Never would imagine it without.

Don't worry about the packing early, just consider it time to adjust to the way that you'll be living for about the next year. Once you move it seems like half your stuff never makes it out of the boxes. :)

Hope you feel better.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sounds really goooooood!

lol--seven devout schools for potatoe salad! too funny.

hope you get to feeling better.

12:02 PM  
Blogger 666poetry-finchnot said...

hot / oil / vinegar / bit of onion / bacon / fresh parsley / salt pepper
maybe even a bit of grated pickle


sorry / i'm a german / & as far as
i'm concerned there is only one type of potato salad / / /lol

mmm / now i gotta make some


~finchyx

2:49 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

You'd think by now I could read your blog without getting hungry. Nope :|

I don't even like potato salad and this made me hungry - I hate cravings, they're so damned fickle!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

ang -- I loves it to. actually if its in the fridge that's all i will eat until it's gone -- sad, eh? i figure if i start packing early and stuff -- then i'll have something else to do besides make voodoo dolls in the shape of an underwriter (what shape are underwriters, anyway -- i keep coming up with something that looks like a cross between a trout and a pitchfork...)

jenni -- i wonder if i could make a potato salad for each of the chakras.....

mmmmm pickles.........
finchy you can come over and make potato salad whenever you want...

E - I thought cravings were one of the bonuses ? I suppose as long as they're not for watermelon in December...

7:08 PM  
Blogger Mommyleek said...

Heh, I thought they more resembled the pimply ass of a teenage virgin dork... but that could just be my experience.

Looks like we're not moving any time soon either. Ugh. Damn the red tape!

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home