Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

self portraits and spring

sometimes when I'm low, I take self portraits. I almost never share the images. What I do, is to take the pictures, download them onto the computer and pick them apart -- usually around the time I start counting my pores or berating a single unplucked eyebrow, I have to start laughing at myself for being absolutely insane.

That and a nap in the sunny spot by the flower bed did the trick.

How very O'Keefe, no?


In real life this little guy is only 3 inches tall, a warm spell then frost stunted them.

I actually sorta like this one, because the timer caught me off guard.


4 Comments:

Blogger westcoastmama said...

Ahh...such wonderful pics. Um...Miss Laura? You're buh-U-T-FUL!!! *HUG*

7:39 PM  
Blogger e said...

L, you remind me of myself in so many ways. I did the whole self-portrait thing too, but I only saved the ones that were good angles or odd expressions and in all truth, didn't really look like me at all. They made me feel better in a weird way... Ugh. Self-image is such a complex thing. Anyhoo, just wanted to let you know that I think you're beautiful. Yeah, I realize it sounds like the generic "right thing to say," but I mean it. True beauty defies rules and any set of standards; it truly is in the eye of the beholder. And I thinks you's beautiful!!

Secondly, I realize how much easier said than done it is to be comfortable being mostly naked and exposed in front of anyone other than Doug (maybe even Doug sometimes, if you're anything like me - in front of Jay that is!), but perhaps a little outside perspective could help nonetheless: your classmates are either into the idea of bringing comfort and relaxation to people by means of massage, or they're in it for the money. If they're the first, it would seem to me that they'd have to be compassionate people and therefor unlikely to be judging you. If they're the latter, who gives a shit what they think, the greedy bastards!?

;o)

7:51 PM  
Blogger Fool's Errand said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:22 AM  
Blogger Fool's Errand said...

There..what a difference! You know me; I say what I think, and I see photos of a woman who's clearly a thinker from her eyes and mouth, with beautiful creamy skin and lovely hair. You're tall, which sounds like heaven to me as I'm unable to reach anything without standing on something. If your body is roomier than you wish it were, you can carry it in a queenly way; I couldn't.

There are two ways to go on this whole self-image front: the way of the media, or the way of reality. In reality, women come in all shapes and sizes and men like women in all shapes and sizes; it's that simple and natural. Being female is the biggest high because of all the things nature intended us to do; the moment a woman feels female, it's obvious to everyone around her in any situation and it is incredibly attractive because she's showing that she's come into her power.

It's Spring and there's no better time, with all you have achieved and are achieving, for you to come into your power. Laura, go ahead and bloom :)

(This errored the first time, it's the same post..not sure what happened there).

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home