Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

hit the ground running

One of the best smells in the whole world is the smell of bedsheets after they've been dried outside on a sunny day (provided that you live in an area where a sunny day smells nice). Today was one of those breezy spring days that kept me from lingering in that space between bed and dressed. I had the linens washed and on the clothesline by 8:45 -- which is very impressive for me. I also washed a set of sheets that I used for class on Tuesday. I hope whoever I work with on Thursday appreciates it.

Speaking of class -- I almost lost it yesterday. We've worked on most areas of the body in the prone (downfacing) position thus far. Yesterday, we were slated to start learning our final prone sequence, the legs. When this sunk in, I was inwardly freaking out. First of all, that meant I had to shave. I'm naturally light haired and a bit lazy, so after winter this task was a bit, well, daunting. I managed to get that done without the aid of the weed whacker, but it was close. Second of all, I'm incredibly self conscious about my upper legs. Like, REALLY, self conscious. As in I'm not comfortable letting my husband see me in a swimsuit without a sarong. Let me get this straight, nekkid is one thing, a fully exposed leg on it's one is another thing altogether. Even more attention is drawn to the upper leg when there is a visual dividing line. To top things off, I pulled the short straw and was supposed to be the class guinea pig while the instructor gave an overview. Absolutely not. I managed to pass that on to a more willing person.

I ended up paired with a classmate who is significantly smaller than me. A LOT smaller, in fact, which added to the knot in my stomach. But I survived it. Leg massage feels really good, by the way. I was open about being self-conscious -- which is good, because usually I just crack self-derrogatory jokes and my partner was really quite cool about it. We got to talking about the fact that we've both worked with the elderly and disabled. She made a point to tell me that she'd done a lot of personal care, which I could empathize with. For those not in the "know" personal care is hairbrushing and all that good stuff, but it is also bathing, shaving, and buttwiping. But I realized, after the comment, that her intent was really to make me more comfortable -- and it did. Gave me the confidence that she saw bodies the way I do -- as something in need of care. Plus I now know that she's dealt with WAY worse than me. :)

It's those small kindnesses that can just make things so much better. I was able to, in just a brief conversation, let go of my insecurity and focus learning, and enjoying the massage.

Anyway, more stuff going on here, got some curtains hung, starting to figure out how to create the guest room for when we have company in May (yay!), made banana bread, played with chickens, we have lots of eggs now. Gonna have to use them up.

Okay, enough rambling. Off to make some chicken alfredo for dinner. MMMMM pasta.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

Chicken alfredo? Jeez L, if you have too many eggs, just make omelettes! You don't have to go eating the chickens!

I'm glad you were able to let go of your body hang-ups long enough to enjoy massage. I can totally relate to you on that. My body isn't the shapliest in the world. After losing weight I dare say it's a more scary thing than it was when I was heavy. Think balloon that's been blown up and then deflated- all saggy and stretched out. Not exactly swimsuit material.

As far as the spare room goes- don't stress yourself out over it. Your company is very low maintenance and travels with just about everything they need. :) You've got a nice warm floor, right?

I actually went and got J a really cool inflatable Sponge Bob bed today. I'm hoping that it'll make transitioning him from our bed a little easier. That and he's always napped in a playpen, which he's pretty much outgrown now. The new bed is compact and travels well, so we'll be bringing it with us. Heck, it's so cool I might end up stealing it from him. :)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Te-he!

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear diary:

i made friends with my upper leg today. it was neat-o.
tomorrow i'm taking my codependence out for a stroll. i hope it can play well with others.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home