Strong Women and Whiskey

not for the delicate palate

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, Pennsylvania, United States

I've found that if you speak as if with authority on nearly any topic, most people will believe you. This frightens me.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

gamboling gambler

Derby Day.... I love Kentucky Derby Day, except that none of the horses I liked did well. We went to Nottingham's had some food, some drinks (bloody Mary and then mint julep for me), and placed our bets. I played some Keno and lost, I should have known not to bet on the Derby.

I liked Bandini (who placed near the end) the best. I think because I like the writer John Fante, and I loved the book "Wait Until Spring, Bandini". Of course the horse was named for some sculptor, whatever. So I lost but I think that we had fun. My friend Kathy is such a sap sometimes -- in a funny way, 'cause she's pretty tough most the time -- so when they played the bit on TV (before the Derby) about the horse Afleet Alex, named also for that little girl who had cancer and opened a fundraising lemonade stand (which I admire the hell out of, just so you know) Kathy got all teary and wished we were back so that she could place a winning bet on that horse. I asked her why she would do that if the money wasn't going to go to the fundraiser, and besides who would want to bet on a cancer horse, anyway?

Doug that that was really funny. Kathy was not pleased. Good thing she got distracted or I might still have bruises. I love the way some of these horses have stories. It's a world I don't have the time or money to get involved in, but it seems so interesting.

.....anyway, so a good time was had by all. I'd like to wear a pretty hat next year and feel all Belle-ish. It'll be right around the time of our honeymoon, maybe we can go. Oh, God. I'm going to be a "Mrs." by the next Derby. That's wild.

Tomorrow is Mother's Day so I need to go prepare for that. It's been a non-smoking week, yay AND I went to the gym this morning double-yay.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mommyleek said...

Woah killer, dieting, quitting smoking, AND going to the gym? You're making me look bad here. :)

Seriously, good for you. I'm very proud.

Sounds like ya'll had fun at the derby. I've never been into horse racing at all. I mean, it's not that I think there's anything wrong with it, I'm just totally uneducated about it. Seems kind of like high class redneck nascar or something.

Anyway, Just wanted to chime in and say hi.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

One time when we went to NY I went to the OTB office and bet something on some horse. I dunno who, but they didn't win.

Just thought I'd share :)

hi *waves*

~E

8:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

yes ang, it is very much like nascar, only not. it's fun. I know nothing about it. i like the horses names best of all. I only ever watch the Triple Crown stuff, then I get sick of it.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home